Using Foam Core Base For Heavy Cake!

Baking By cherrycakes Updated 25 Jun 2017 , 3:19pm by -K8memphis

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 8

I've searched through many threads but feel I would still like a bit more confirmation on using a foam core board for a wedding cake base. I have made several wedding cakes but my upcoming cake will be the heaviest - a 14/10/6 with fondant. Can I confidently use a 1/2" foam core base or should I use 1/2" MDF? I need to carry it to the venue so I'm just concerned about overall weight. Thanks for any advice! 

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 8

I defiantely suggest the MDF.  I don't think foamcore would be strong enough - unless you double & even than I still would not trust it.  Actually that size cake probably won't be that heavy but why take the chance of a problem?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 8

i have used the half inch foam core -- no problem -- i would probably stack the 10 & 6 on site so the 14" wouldn't be too heavy to carry -- 

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 8

but i've carried my fair share stacked too blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 8

Personally, I would use a wooden base.  I make all of my own, so I would cut it from 1/2" plywood or 1/2" masonite.  I tend to "over kill" on supports, but I have yet to have a tragedy (knock on wood!).  As to weight, I would definitely not be able to carry a stacked 14" x 10" x 6" with fondant!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 12:52am
post #6 of 8

I use a 1 inch thick foamcore base for all my tiered cakes.  They're called "MY THICK BOARDS" and I order them from www.cakethings.com in whatever sizes I need them.  They are super strong.  I usually glue a coordinating ribbon around the edge.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 3:09am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! I'll go with MDF to be on the safe side and call it my weight training for the weekend :) 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 8

ok oops -- if jeff says it's one inch -- that's what i meant -- not the quarter inch the thick stuff 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%