Fresh Roses On A Drip Cake

Decorating By Deerawr Updated 24 Jun 2017 , 11:22pm by aldonza

Deerawr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deerawr Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:53am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone.

I'm planning on making this cake https://www.instagram.com/p/BDFkONEnbmU/?taken-by=bake.you.smile for my mothers 50th. I have never used fresh flowers on a cake a just had a few questions.

I plan to make the cake on a Friday, icing and decorating in the evening. The cake however, is for the Saturday night. Because it's a drip cake, i need to decorate right after i apply the drip (before it sets). I want to apply a few roses just like the photo, but wondering if they will hold up until the following night. The cake would be refridgerated also.

I understand using floral wire, tapes and straws but the actual petals would be touching the cake. Is that okay if i wash the roses and dry? Do i have to use straws? Or could i wrap them in tape and then cling film.

Any tips would be so appreciated, thank you!

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 6

That's a beautiful design. Your mom will be delighted! But I would never let a fresh flower sit directly on a cake. Think about ways to avoid contact that will fit in with the aesthetics. Perhaps use small pieces of parchment or foil under the flower to avoid contamination. Wish your mom a happy birthday from us!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 6

Mimi is right..........you should not let the flowers touch anything edible.  Reason?  To get flowers bug free then are sprayed heavily by growers so contain pesticide :(  I know one lady who was both a florist & cake designer and what she did was put a very heavy amount of icing where the flowers were placed (the design was usually a swag of flowers from top to bottom of cake) and she insisted *only she* could serve the cake so no one got any of the flower ladened icing.  My only addition to what Mimi said would be to suggest wax paper could be used rather than foil. 

Dede234d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dede234d Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 6

sorry i really need help do you know what light pink and light purple icing would make

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

Mixing those colors together will give you a lighter purple icing.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

Why not just make buttercream roses or gumpaste roses?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%