Can A Wedding Cake Be Too Delicate And Moist?

Baking By dianaeggplant Updated 24 Jun 2017 , 1:51am by SandraSmiley

dianaeggplant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianaeggplant Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 5

I'm working on a 4 tiered wedding cake and I'd like to use an awesome cake recipe for the bottom tier but I'm worried that it will be too moist and delicate to stack. I've been told that the cake sturdiness doesn't matter (since it isn't what actually holds the cakes on top of it) as long as the support system is strong.

If that's the case, would you recommend wooden dowels or boba/bubble tea straws?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe are you considering using?  One could stack many, many tiers of whipped cream w/the proper support :)  No I don't think any cake can be too moist & delicate.....well maybe one exception comes to mind - the Mexican 3 milks recipe.

dianaeggplant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianaeggplant Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply! It's actually a cupcake recipe: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/09/best-vanilla-cupcake-recipe.html

So...definitely not a Tres Leches! haha 

I've only used wooden dowels...I read in another thread that boba straws are more stable?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

I don't use them.  I've only used regular, fat drinking straws from fast food places like McD.  They are *very* strong as long as they are inserted into the cake straight - as any dowel should be.  A few people insist on sticking a wooden dowel into the straw, but unless you are making a 4 or 5 tier, very large cake it's not necessary.   When I taught classes, I would spend 1/2 of one class teaching how to insert dowels :) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 1:51am
post #5 of 5

I agree with kakeladi, if you have made this cake before and had no problems stacking the layers into a one tier cake, then you shouldn't have any problems stacking the tiers with the proper support.  I use both dowels and straws, depending upon the size and weight of the tiers and how tall the cake will ultimately be.  I also prefer the nice stiff straws from fast food restaurants.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%