Not Enough Cake

Business By Cupcakekisses09 Updated 29 Jun 2017 , 1:39am by jchuck

Cupcakekisses09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakekisses09 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 41

This is the first time this has ever happened in my business, so naturally I have been caught off guard. I just did a wedding cake this weekend. At the wedding venue, I got to see and talk with the groom, who absolutely loved the cake. Setup the cake, took a picture, and sent it to the bride (told her I would) - no reply, but I know it is a busy time. We are friends on Facebook, so I waited until the next day (Wedding was on Saturday) to look and see if she had posted pictures and so forth. She had, multiple pictures and a post stating that she could not have asked for a more perfect wedding. So I took it that everything was well until Monday when I received a phone call from her sister. The sister is stating that the bride wanted her to contact me and get it resolved. She says that there was not enough cake for everyone at the reception (Like I said, this has never happened to me before. Ever.) and that I should give the newlyweds a full refund. The cake was perfectly sized for ALL of their wedding guests and then some. The only thing that I can think of is that they cut the cake wrong and/or portion size. My problem isn't with knowing if my cake sizes were right, but really knowing if I should give a full refund. There wasn't a discrepancy on how the cake looked or tasted, just that it did not serve everyone - there were 100 guests and only 80 people were served cake from what the sister states. What do I do?

40 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 41

I think you should contact the caterer/venue where the wedding took place and ask how they slice up wedding cakes.  If you provided more than enough cake to serve anyone then the issue lies with whoever cut it up.  Once you are better informed by the venue, then speak with the bride.

A full refund seems a bit much since it was eaten and the only thing wrong was that there wasn't enough.  I could see maybe a partial refund, like the cost of 20 servings since that is the amount of people who didn't get a piece.

Cupcakekisses09 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 41

I called the venue, spoke to them, and they are supposed to send me pictures. She stated the portion size at the beginning of serving was bigger and when they realized they wouldn't have enough cake they cut it different (smaller portions) but that it wasn't enough to feed 15-20 people.

I am all for giving some kind of refund and a small cake for their 1 year anniversary, but I do not feel that I should have to refund the entire amount.

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 41

what? no you shouldn't have to give any refund at all! they ordered X servings and they got X servings and they liked the cake. The wedding cake cutter at the venue should be forced to answer to this if anyone does.

Demanding a full refund is so ridiculous!

man the nerve of some people! The wedding ends and they try to get money back any way they can! pretty gross.

Coffeelover77 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 41

you made a cake with 100 servings in it correct? so if they wanted giant slices they should have ordered a bigger cake. End of story.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 41

A full refund because several guests didn't get cake? Tread carefully. The bride sent up a red warning flag when she suggested a full refund.

First, remember your customer service skills...

A small refund is in order. I suggest you send the bride an email, let her know the venue has admitted the pieces were not cut according to standard size, and attach a link to Wilton (cake size and cutting guide) for corroboration. If you priced your cake by the serving, refund her that amount, plus an offer for a small cake. 

MimiFix Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 41

Sorry, should have written that the refund amount should be for 20 servings, to account for those who did not get cake.

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 41

If you send your sister to McDonald's for a burger and fries and she dropped some of the fries, do you go back to McDonald's and ask for a full refund??? No, because they did their job, she messed up. So imho, you did your job, and someone else screwed it up, why should you be held responsible?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 41

When my cousin got married she ordered more cake than she needed because she would have rather had too much than not enough. Sure enough she had extra cake and told me and my mom to take some home. I was happy that day and still remember how good her cake tasted.

This makes me want to go and bake me some cake!!!! Now I am in the mood just thinking about it!!!

Coffeelover77 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 41

Did you include a cutting guide with the cake?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 41

This is one of the few times I totally disagree w/mimiFix :)   I do not think any refund is in order here.  This was in no way your fault.  If you want good customer relations offer them an 'anniversary' cake - an exact duplicate of the top tier on their wedding cake.  

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 12:13am
post #12 of 41

This was clearly a cutting issue with the venue staff--NOT YOUR PROBLEM.  She should seek the refund from them, not you.  If they don't know how to cut a cake properly, they shouldn't be in the wedding business.  If it was family and they screwed it up, that's also not your problem.

YOU cannot be responsible for other people's errors, or the problems that they create.

If an anniversary cake was already part of the deal, fine, if not--and you want to offer it--then a 4" cake with simple decos is more than enough.

Full refund??????????????? Now that's a steaming pilehankey, if I ever heard one.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 1:32am
post #13 of 41

As usual, I am in agreement with @kakeladi ‍.  You are not at fault and should not accept the responsibility, therefore no refund.  For the sake of gracious customer service, the offer of an anniversary cake should be sufficient.

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 12:21pm
post #14 of 41

I add my two cents to the "no refund at all" camp. I'm assuming before the cake was made, you asked them how many people they needed to serve, suggested the proper sizes for that - remind her of that conversation. Then remind her that the cake can only serve the proper number of people if it is cut in a reasonable way - if the venue cut them too big, they are at fault. You provided the right amount of cake. 

Even if you had given them enough cake for 200 people and they cut hugely, ginormous slices, then there still wouldn't have been enough to go around! That is not your fault in the least and you should not refund. Offer a hearty discount for a future cake perhaps and this time include a detailed cutting guide:) (okay, you don't have to do that last part:) 

MimiFix Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 41

"Who's fault?" is not always a simple determination. In this case, as an owner, one could certainly and righteously declare: Not my fault! They ate the cake! Both of these statements would be true. 

But as a business owner, it's also important to remember good customer service, the quantifiable asset of goodwill, and most importantly: As the captain of your ship, final responsibility is always yours. For the business owner to use "not my fault" as a blanket fallback, makes it an easy way to avoid any responsibility, even the responsibility of ownership. 

JustBakeIt17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakeIt17 Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 5:52pm
post #16 of 41

This is the main reason I have a written contract with EVERY BRIDE! It clearly states the servings ordered and the size of those servings. At the same time I also show them the cutting charts. They sign off on this at the time of the contract. Also, at delivery there is a chart that is left when the cake is fully set up and the release signature is obtained. For a full refund from me the entire cake has to be returned in the manner in which it was delivered. If this were the case for me, NO i would not give a refund, the Bride was fully aware of the servings and that should have been discussed with her planners, servers, etc... before. I would however be very compassionate with her and maybe offer her a small 1 year Anniversary Cake. In your case, you either give a "SMALL" refund that I don't feel is your fault or you offer some other type of suggestion for the price of the refund to the Bride. Again, I do beleive in having contracts where everything is black and white and everyone is clear going into all areas.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 3:01pm
post #17 of 41

You are the cake supplier and yes, you are responsible....for suggesting the correct amount. If they are all "Jethro" eaters, there is NO way that standard wedding servings would work. My teenage son colugo to McD's and order 9 McRibs for or family of six, and get home with 4 of them (for the 5 still at home). It is not McD's problem that my eager son ate FIVE of them!

The better questions is, what size cakes did you provide? What is close to "standard"? If you recommended a 4" and 6" tier cake for 100, yes...you are at fault 100%.

If the cake plates were chipped, or the venue drop one tier, or they cut them too big----- well that is on them(venue)  and they should compensate the bride.

johnson6ofus Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 3:05pm
post #18 of 41

OOps...fast post and typos! BUT..

You can not be held responsible for that which is not your fault. I actually believe giving a refund (credit/ discount/ future cake) ie. admitting guilt actually causes more damage to your reputation than explaining who actually is at fault and why.

Cupcakekisses09 Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 41

Thank you to all who have replied. I have read your comments and have seriously thought about this a great deal, but I am still unsure of what to do. I feel that I am at fault because I did not supply/leave a cutting chart. *I will from now on* What would you say if I would give them back the amount of 20 servings that they state they didn't have and an anniversary cake? Would that be reasonable? Should I enclose a letter with a cutting guide showing them that if it was cut correctly everyone at the reception would have gotten cake? This situation has really tested me and torn me down as a baker and has made me second guess myself/business. The sister wasn't the nicest gal on the phone if you know what I mean - demanding that I give them a full refund for the sake of my business reputation. I've never had this happen with the 100's of weddings I've done. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 8:32pm
post #20 of 41

........ What would you say if I would give them back the amount of 20 servings that they state they didn't have and an anniversary cake? Would that be reasonable? .........

Very reasonable

.........Should I enclose a letter with a cutting guide showing them that if it was cut correctly everyone at the reception would have gotten cake?....

I wouldn't - that's closing the barn door after the horse has fled...... but on 2nd thought.....maybe a short note explaining that the vneue admitted they started out cutting it wrong & were really at fault...

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 41

Do not let this get you down! Stop second guessing yourself! Not everyone leaves a cutting guide, as most venues have staff that know how to cut proper sized pieces to serve; it is absolutely not your fault that they didn't. I wouldn't even deal with her sister as she's not the customer, and I especially wouldn't deal with her if she was being rude. Do what you feel will work for you and close the book on this one. 

Coffeelover77 Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 10:09pm
post #22 of 41

I think the offer of a refund for 20% (the amount of 20 servings) is very generous. It's not necessary as legally you did everything right however I see how t would be good customer service to offer this and try to have a happy customer. 

Dont stress about it !! Totally not your fault. Just refund the 20 servings and move along, hope for a more reasonable customer next time and of course it won't hurt to include the cutting guide :)

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 10:31pm
post #23 of 41

First off I don't have a cake business however as someone who feels a need to cross all t's and dot all i's there is no way I would have sent a cake to a place without knowing a/ that somewhere there has had it explained to them how to cut the cake and b/ without supplying a cake cutting guide if I wasn't there to cut the cake.

The only time I have sent a cake with someone was for a small lunch that my neighbour was having (we are close, she treats my children like they are her grandchildren and it was a lunch for 20 people for her mum's 90th) and even she got a print out on how to cut the cake and an explanation on the best temperature to serve the cake at etc.

Just because it's a catering venue it doesn't mean that someone automatically knows how to cut the cake to get the right amount of servings, especially when they are cut a lot smaller than say a dessert portion they may usually serve it cut.

I agree that you are responsible for that reason, no way do you need to give a full refund - that's ridiculous, I would definitely take the tack of laying a little blame on the venue though to avoid them thinking they have any reason to chase you for anything other than what you choose to offer them as compensation.

Simply print a chart and send it along next time - if they don't need it, well great but if they do that's great too and you won't have to deal with this issue again.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 10:31pm
post #24 of 41

first of all, you need to talk to the bride or whoever paid for the cake -- hopefully this is not the sister -- in all my years i never left a cutting guide so my only point there is that not leaving one is not a crime punishable by full refund --

then at my consults i clearly explained the size of the serving that i sold them -- but more importantly the amount of servings was their responsibility -- they told me how many they wanted -- i added about 10% additional give or take so that i was fully covered in an event like this -- because you have no control of the size of servings that will be cut & served -- 

i'm very curious as to the actual sizes of your tiers --

and with what the venue told you -- you don't owe them any money back -- but 20 servings is a lot of cake to be short just by cutting a few too big at first -- but depends on how many total servings --  how soon they figured out they would run short --

fwiw -- in my consult spiel i would say "if you have aunt louise's 14 yr old twins cut your cake you need to order more servings"

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 11:07pm
post #25 of 41

not only did i never leave a cutting guide, no place i ever worked for ever sent one either -- fwiw -- i mean a lot of people do but i just never figured anyone would ever stop and study it kwim?

katy_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy_cakes Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 2:54pm
post #26 of 41

Quote by @-K8memphis on 16 hours ago

first of all, you need to talk to the bride or whoever paid for the cake -- hopefully this is not the sister -- in all my years i never left a cutting guide so my only point there is that not leaving one is not a crime punishable by full refund --

then at my consults i clearly explained the size of the serving that i sold them -- but more importantly the amount of servings was their responsibility -- they told me how many they wanted -- i added about 10% additional give or take so that i was fully covered in an event like this -- because you have no control of the size of servings that will be cut & served -- 

i'm very curious as to the actual sizes of your tiers --

and with what the venue told you -- you don't owe them any money back -- but 20 servings is a lot of cake to be short just by cutting a few too big at first -- but depends on how many total servings --  how soon they figured out they would run short --

fwiw -- in my consult spiel i would say "if you have aunt louise's 14 yr old twins cut your cake you need to order more servings"

I replied earlier and forgot this important bit of information - first, you shouldn't be talking to the sister unless she paid for the cake. Let the bride (or whoever paid) take it up with you and cut out the middle man. Sometimes people are over zealous to help their friend/sister and she could be making a much bigger deal of this than the bride even cares.  You should politely tell the sister that you will discuss the matter with the bride and/or the one who paid for the cake. 

I would definitely include mention of that fact that while you are sad to hear about the experience and that the venue didn't know how to properly cut the cake and therefore didn't serve the correct amount, you did supply the correct amount of cake for 100 people (assuming you did...I think we are all trusting you did:) You need to make sure they understand that the cutting was NOT your responsibility and shut down this full refund nonsense. 

IF you feel the need to give a partial refund for goodwill, your plan sounds good. Or offer a great discount on a future one as I mentioned before. But first and foremost, stop talking to this sister - she's not the paying party or the bride. :) 

CathiePoppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathiePoppy Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 5:15am
post #27 of 41

I don't think she deserves any kind of refund or compensation. In recent years, there seems to be an huge increase in the complaints issued by brides. Businesses need to put there foot down. A service was provided! A excellent one (according to the groom!) You shouldn't be expected to bear the costs of 'her wedding cake' because someone at the venue doesn't know how to cut cake!. Otherwise, every bride will be trying to 'score' a free cake. 

Callmecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callmecakelady Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 5:58am
post #28 of 41

My initial thought as I read your post was "omg, she (the bride) is just trying to get a free cake"! However, as I read on and considered the opinions that others gave, I think that a small, very small refund would be a reasonable gesture on your part. I think that you should very well let the bride know that the cutting size was not your fault but that in a gesture of good faith, you are giving her a refund for the servings she was out. You apease her without admitting guilt. Irregardless of who is actually at fault for over-serving, it has come back on your shoulders and I think that would be the best way to handle the situation.

*** And don't speak to the sister anymore, where the hell was she when the bill was due?

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 1:03pm
post #29 of 41

Here is my final thought, some of the members here believe you should provide a refund for the sake of your business, but here is my question, if you give them a refund, what happens when word spreads and other customers try the same thing? Are you going to refund everyone that has a complaint? 

johnson6ofus Posted 26 Jun 2017 , 1:10pm
post #30 of 41

Quote by @Callmecakelady on 7 hours ago

a refund for the servings she was out.

I don't get this at all. The bride wasn't "out" any servings. The OP says she has been in business for years, so I assume that she knows what 100 servings are in cake. I assume that is what she baked and prepared for the event.  If I go to dinner with 6 people, and order 6 dinners, and my son eats his brother's meal, do I say to the restaurant, "I want a refund for one dinner that my son didn't get."  ???? That's crazy. Or the server placed two meals in front on one person and zero in front of another?

Again, assuming the OP recommended a proper size cake (100 servings) why does she shoulder the burden for the SERVER'S mistake (venue)?

Yeah... goodwill... I get that. BUT losing 20%  your paycheck for that....no way!!! A free box of cupcakes (6 pk) maybe......Full refund? Get your head outta your ***.

Customer service is one thing. Sitting still for being abused by a customer...no way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%