"brush On" Effect

Decorating By katie725 Updated 22 Jun 2017 , 6:38pm by katie725

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All! I've been searching through the "painting on buttercream" forums but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for.  My bride is looking for a rose gold top tier with a painted on effect such as the pictures below.  My favorite buttercream is not crusting so I'm nervous once the buttercream comes to room temp (I'll be working with it chilled) that it will begin to bleed or the buttercream will absorb some of it making look messy.  My only solution at this point is to thin out a small bit of buttercream and color it rose gold and attempt to get a painted look rather than using actual edible paint.  Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks SO much for any help :)

"brush On" Effect"brush On" Effect

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 8

I think you could probably do it either way and it be OK.  The safer bet might be to tint your buttercream and paint with it.  That is the way I did this cake and it did sweat when I removed it from the refrigerator, but I blotted it gently and no problem.

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry, I forgot to attach the picture.

"brush On" Effect

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 2:57am
post #4 of 8

Both of those cakes are beautiful!!  SSmiley, I especially love the purple colored cake!! Always love any cake with flowers!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 3:45am
post #5 of 8

Thanks, @remnant3333 ‍ !  I am not good with buttercream, but I really love it.  This was my second attempt at the water color effect and it is probably my favorite cake that I have made to date.  That being said, I am still not good with buttercream, but I am getting better.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 8

Sandra, I think you did an excellent job!! You are better than you think with buttercream!! Looks great!!

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you @remnant3333 ‍! I am getting better, but I don't think I will ever be able to get a perfect finish on buttercream (or fondant either, for that matter) like most folks.  I feel so much more comfortable making flowers and figures.  

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the reply SandraSmiley! Hopefully some others can add their input - I know I'm not the only one out there wondering!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%