Buttercream Looks Shiny Or Greasy? Want It Matte Not Shiny.

Decorating By beenew Updated 21 Jun 2017 , 9:22pm by beenew

beenew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenew Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 5

Hello.  I am curious as to why my homemade buttercream tends to have a shiny almost greasy wet look?  Seems cakes at the store icing looks smooth and not shiny, just matte.    I have tried shortening and butter 1/2 each, and tried with more of one over the other in different amounts.  Suggestions on what can be adjusted to make it pretty and matte finished?   Does high-ration shortening make that much of a diffence?

4 replies
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 5

maybe you are using too much fat to sugar?

I normally just do 2 sticks of butter, 1 lb of sugar, a splash of milk and a little vanilla and I don't think it looks shiny.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with @Coffeelover77 ‍, you are probably using too high a ratio of shortening and/or butter to the sugar.  I use the same ratio - one pound of butter (or shortening or half and half) for every pound of sugar - and it crusts nicely and always has a matt finish.  No, high-ratio shortening would not change the appearance.  It just makes the frosting a bit creamier and smooth.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 5

Sounds to me like you might be using too much liquid making the icing too soft. Or as the others have said, too much 'fat'.    Try this one:     http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing       Be sure to read the whole recipe as there is a way to make it crusting posted at the bottom of it.  I't s a super good tasting icing and easy to make and use.

beenew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenew Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you both for responding. I've just learned something! I didn't really realize it was a specific ratio...I have not been adding quite the full amount of sugar as I was trying to adjust sweetness & icing firmness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%