Cake Transport Question

Decorating By Paola__ Updated 21 Jun 2017 , 11:57pm by Rachel19

Paola__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paola__ Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 13

Hi again! Sorry for a repeat question but I have a three tier IMBC cake which will travel an hour away driven by the family ordering the cake. They will pick up the cake the day before the event so with 80 degree weather the cake should be kept in the fridge, correct? 

Also, what kind of precautions should I take while stacking and packaging? Any suggestions or tips? 

Thanks!

12 replies
Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 3:55am
post #2 of 13

Ooh!  That's really dangerous letting someone else drive with it.  I deliver a 3 or more tiered cake with an hour drive sitting in the back of a van helping it through turns and bumps with a driver who has experience delivering cakes.  

Definitely use lots of dowels in each tier.  I put them an inch apart all the way around.  Also, lots of center dowels going down the whole thing.

Make sure they have the AC cranked the whole time, and keep the cake in the fridge at least overnight before they take it to make sure everything is settled together. 

What kind of cake, and fillings will it have?  If they are traveling with it again to the venue, I would suggest to them to leave it in the fridge.  But,also warn not to have any strong smelling foods, as the cake will absorb that taste.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 13

I recommend using SPS, which uses four dowels (each) in the two lower tiers. The top two tiers are on plates that fit into the dowels, so they won't move during transport as long as the cake is secured to the plate - I use melted chocolate.  I've never had a cake shift during transport - 3 hours was the longest journey.

I also recommend using a moving/storage box for transport as well.  Avalon Yarnes has an awesome tutorial on how to make an insulated one.  You place your finished cake in the box and then place the box in the fridge, so everything is cold when the client picks it up.  And yes, keep the cake cold - cold cake transports MUCH easier....with 80 degree weather, I hope the client keeps the cake cold as well.  Though, with the insulated box, they have an option of putting ice packs around the cake as well, should fridge space be an issue.  Some make two boxes - a small box inside of a larger box, so the small box holds the cake and the large box holds the ice packs.

Paola__ Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 13

So the cake is chocolate with strawberry SMBC as the filling. It's going to be iced with some extra vanilla IMBC. 

So we decided to meet halfway so I will be taking the cake part way. So with stacking I don't have the means to get an sps system but @Rachel19 ‍ you suggested a center dowel? I've heard that this doesn't really make a difference but would it? @640Cake ‍the suggestion for an insulated box is really ingenious. 

Thanks!

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 13

By SPS, I mean the disposable ones - not the $100+ support system that is reusable.  I spent less than $20 on the SPS for the last wedding cake I did (3 tiers) - you only need 8 dowels, which came in a pack of 4 for $3-4, and then two plates...I think I spent $12 on the plates.  Still an extra cost, but I wanted to clarify, in case you were thinking it was the expensive system.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 13

Well the center dowel will keep all the tiers together.  If you don't have a center dowel there is a chance that the top two tiers could slide around or if the cake tips a smidge when going around a corner the tiers could slide and tip off completely.

Make sure to tell the person who will be driving the second half that there is a nice flat and level spot in their car.  And to crank the AC.

Paola__ Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the clarifications 

Rachel19 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 13

Absolutely!  The top tiers will almost certainly shift around if you don't have a center dowel.  I sharpen wooden dowels and put one in with every tier I stack.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 13

I do have to say using a center dowel can give false security :(   Yes, it can help some if the driver is a good one and drives 'like a little  old lady" :)  That means no sudden sharp turns, stops and advoiding potholes as much as possible.  It also means the cake must be transported on a very flat, smooth surface and a car seat is NOT!  I do not agree w/Rachel19 - I have delivered many, mamy tiered cakes - some much as 4 tiers w/o a center dowel and they didn't shift around.   If a cake is put together right there should not be a problem.   One way is to have the borders made w/crusting b'cream or royal icing, & be sure the cake is chilled well.  Also for a center dowel to help some, you have to have the cake on a base that allows for penetration of the sharpened stick.  The dowel must be hammered into the base board to give any stability.    BTW: what 640 is calling SPS isn't.   SPS is a certain brand that works well but is expensive.  What she is taliking about is simpley pillars & plates that have been used for eons:)     

Paola__ Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 13

@kakeladi ‍ thanks! By borders you mean creating a dam with crusting buttercream and then filling it with the meringue bc? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 13

No I mean the boarders on each tier.   Once the tiers are stacked you finish off the design by piping a top & bottom border.   http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2158946/fall-leaves-wedding

Paola__ Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 13

Got it lol that makes a lot more sense. 

Rachel19 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 11:57pm
post #13 of 13

I delivered all of these cakes completely assembled with good supports in each tier and center dowels with no issues.  I have delivered cakes without a center dowel and had the top tiers shifting the whole time (ruining the border).  My biggest thing is making sure the cake sits together in the fridge for at least a few hours before trying to transport it.  That kind of just solidifies everything together.

Cake Transport QuestionCake Transport QuestionCake Transport QuestionCake Transport QuestionCake Transport Question

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%