Late To Delivery, Customer Wants Half Back

Business By Vaness926 Updated 22 Jun 2017 , 5:35am by me_me1

Vaness926 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vaness926 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 7

I should have gone with my gut and not taken this order but I did.  It was a geometrical design, black white and gold. She stated, "basically want a replica of this cake".  I came as close i could to that, she did not ask for a topper.  I feel behind on delivery and was an hr and 15 mintues late.  She has now requested half the cost back.  Do i just refund her the 50%.  She ate the cake.  Because she was not happy I was late, understandable, she nit picked everything.  Down to it not being exactly like the picture,  because she wanted an "exact" replica.  Her event started at 8, I was there at 9:15.  People were still eating and dancing.  

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 7

In my opinion probably not.  But then you did not keep up your end of the contract so they probably should get some compensation.  Being that late really did put a dent in her entertainment.  There might have been some people still dancing but that is really late for eating in my opinion.  When someone give you a pic and tells you they want an exact duplicate I *always* tell them I can't do that because I'm not the creator of the cake.....but can make a very close replica.  Don't ever tell anyone you can duplicate some exactly! 

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 7

In regards to the late delivery, if I were the customer I would be upset as well.  An hour and 15 minutes past the start of my event is really late and unacceptable.  I would at least be asking for the delivery fee back since that part of the contract was not met.  It doesn't matter if people were still eating or dancing.  The cake was suppose to be there at 8 and it wasn't.  Getting something delivered in the middle of an ongoing event is distracting and is just not a good look for you as the vendor.

I am not sure what you charge in regards to a delivery fee but I would tell her that you can refund her at least that.  Maybe throw in a "$X off your next cake order" as well as an additional apology for the late deliver.  And like kakeldai said, never promise that you can duplicate something.  Say that you can mimic the design but that variations could occur since you aren't the original maker of the cake.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with the other posters. I'm not sure  being late warrants 50% of the cost of the cake back, that's kind of extreme, but refunding the delivery fee and offering something off another order (if she orders again) sounds reasonable.I also never say that I can duplicate something exactly. I've made the same cake design 4 times and it's never the same as the first time that I made it. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 7

If I order a custom cake, I am looking for more than just a dessert.  It's a wow factor...a centerpiece.  There's a reason you match it to the theme/decor...why bother ordering a specific design, if when the cake shows up it just gets cut up and served?  No one gets to admire the work, the design, the wow factor....might as well have stopped at the grocer and grabbed a cake....

I would have been highly disappointed.  I probably would have told you to keep the cake and ask for a full refund.  Unless it was an emergency and unavoidable, I would not be sympathetic.  It sounds harsh, especially coming from someone who is consistently late (like 15-20 min max), but custom cakes are not cheap.  I am paying for the wow factor and I want everyone to see it.   I plan my deliveries at least one hour before the start of the party.  That way I have wiggle room for traffic, since I have to drive slow.  I don't want to be there when guests are there...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

I agree w/640 :)  This is a big learning lesson for you.   Always plan ahead!  Always strive to be on time or early.   Yes, it will be a costly lesson but that's part of growing a business.  Put your big girl panties on and cough up the refund - I'm now thinking the 50% she asked for........

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 5:35am
post #7 of 7

Quote by @kakeladi on 8 hours ago

Put your big girl panties on ....

I'm not laughing at the situation but @kakeladi ‍ that comment did make me smile!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%