Amount Of Dry Boxed Cake Mix For One 6" Pan

Baking By ashleymcn01 Updated 17 Jun 2017 , 8:43pm by ashleymcn01

ashleymcn01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleymcn01 Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 5

My husband is losing weight left and right, and here I am wanting to bake him a cake, doesn't sound very supportive, I know! But to be fair it is Father's Day and I want to make just a one tier 6" Pillsbury yellow cake mix.  I know the entire box calls for 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil and 3 eggs, but how much for a single 6" x 2" pan? Should I just 1/3 the ingredients? 

4 replies
MLs-Hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLs-Hobby Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 5

i'd suggest making the whole mix and use leftover batter to bake cupcakes. Throw them in a zip lock bag and freeze for a future, portion controlled craving fix. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 5

I suggest using 1/2 the box mix using the extra batter for cuppies as the other poster said.  It is much easier than trying to come up w/just the right amount of batter for one 6" layer.  If you have more than one 6" pan, bake 2 and cuppies, fzing them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 5

Oh, forgot to mention you only need to use 1 egg, 3T oil, and 1/2 cup liquid for 1/2 the box.  And to help just a bit instead of using oil, replace it w/applesauce (or any fruit puree).

ashleymcn01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleymcn01 Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 5

I think you're right, I'll just make 1/2 the mix and see where it takes me! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%