Flip Or No Flip

Baking By slimjen1 Updated 18 Jun 2017 , 7:52am by bubs1stbirthday

slimjen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimjen1 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hello; I am making a square wedding cake.  I used the wilton 14 10 and 6 in pans.  When making a round; I don't flip and just build the icing up.  But with this square; it looks off.  I can carve until I get to the square but should I flip so the the bottom is on top?  It didn't leave much of a dome on either layer to be worried about it.  Thanks

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 8

I always flip.  What's much more important is being sure each layer is perfectly level.  You say it didn't leave 'much of a dome' but any dome should be leveled off or the cake might fall :(

slimjen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimjen1 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 8

ok...So level off the top and flip so that the bottom is on top?  Thanks

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, exactly as kakeladi says, level and flip.  I, too, do it with all of my cakes.  I also use a spirit level to be sure they really are level.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 4:28am
post #5 of 8

I always use the bottom of one cake as the bottom and the bottom of the second cake as the top of the cake, then you get perfect contact between the cake board and cake.

I don't think most people would appreciate a mouthful of icing with no cake because the cake was built up rather than levelled either so best to level before icing. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 8

LOL @bubs1stbirthday ‍ , I meant that I use a spirit level while carving the tops to level, not on the icing.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Jun 2017 , 7:50am
post #7 of 8

Haha @SandraSmiley ‍ I have to admit I didn't read the comments so I actually had to reread the posts to understand why you thought I was replying to you :-)  

I was just referring to the original askers comment that they don't level the top of the cake and just build the icing up.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Jun 2017 , 7:52am
post #8 of 8

P.S I gave up in my level - it only works if your work surface is perfectly level or you work out what the level is on your surface then use that on your cake, I just use a ruler and measure at four points around the cake each time I add the next layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%