Red Velvet Cake- Crumb Coat

Baking By nigerianprincess Updated 17 Jun 2017 , 12:52am by nigerianprincess

nigerianprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nigerianprincess Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 10:58am
post #1 of 6

I'm going to be making a layered red velvet cake. The cake is extremely moist and I'm worried that if I wrap the cake in cling film overnight and put it in the fridge that it will loose all of the moistnesss. Is there anyway I can keep it fresh but form enough to crumb coat ? 

5 replies
srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 6

I just did a red velvet, sprinkled on simple syrup, double wrapped in cling film and threw in the fridge overnight. Still super moist and firm enough for an easy crumb coat.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 6

If it's just the individual layers by themselves, you don't need to refrigerate them at all if they're just going to be sitting on the counter overnight.  Just wrap them and fill and decorate the next day.

If you've filled it with something like a cream cheese icing, just crumbcoat it and put it in the fridge.  I have one in the fridge now that's crumbcoated and it's been there since 7:00 this morning.  It won't dry out if there's a crumbcoat.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, you can certainly double wrap your Red Velvet layers (or stacked) in cling wrap and refrigerate overnight or longer without it drying out.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 6

Once a cake layer is wrapped in cling wrap it is tightly sealed and will not loose any moisture.  Instead the moisture in the cake will spread throughout the layer and make the cake even more moist :)   Such a wrapped cake can be left on the counter overnight (up to 36 hours) or frig'ed - which ever one wants.    Also as Annie said, if it is crumbcoated that is almost the same as having been wrapped in plastic so the cake is sealed (w/icing) and again can be left on the counter up to about 36 hrs.  Just remember the longer it is in your posession the less time a client has to consume it. (Even if the cake is UNiced, or finished).

nigerianprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nigerianprincess Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 12:52am
post #6 of 6

Thank you. I'm going to try that 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%