Getting Top Of Frosted Cake Flat.

Decorating By Shanelly Updated 24 Jun 2017 , 2:25am by Rachel19

Shanelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanelly Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:29am
post #1 of 16

I need tips for getting the top of the cake flat after frosting.  I level the cake before frosting but I always seem to be center high when I frost. I spend way too much time trying to get it perfect.  I am definitely a lot better than I was though. I just want to get it awesome looking so I can be more confidant in my cakes I sell. 

15 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:46am
post #2 of 16

Check out YouTube for tutorials; it's kind of hard to explain, but visual is better. if you're using an offset spatula, you usually end up with a hump in the middle when you're holding it more up, versus level to the top of the cake, if that makes sense. 

ypierce82 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 5:48am
post #3 of 16

She explains it a little in this video 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 7:38am
post #4 of 16

I use an offset spatula when I do it by hand (not using my acrylics, hold it in the middle with the blade tilted on about a 45 degree angle and spin the turntable. I only have a thin layer of icing on top. 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 7:39am
post #5 of 16

Square cakes I go side to side using a just damp offset spatula to stop it pulling the ganache up.

Shanelly Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 11:54am
post #6 of 16

Quote by @ypierce82 on 5 hours ago

She explains it a little in this video 

Thank you so much this video helped a ton. Much better video than the other one I watched. 

Shanelly Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 11:58am
post #7 of 16

Thank you for the tips I don't have an offset spatula so I was trying to use either my straight one or my scraper.  I'm going to buy an offset one I bet it would help a ton.  

ypierce82 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 16

When using your scraper, start at the edge, and lightly pull towards you, there's a video on that,too; I'll find it. I never feel like I have a lot of control with my scraper.

Shanelly Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 16

Getting Top Of Frosted Cake Flat.

Astound Its looking much better now,  thank you guys!

Shanelly Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 16

I ment Awesome* and no idea why it posted sideways.  Maybe its to big.  

ypierce82 Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 2:59am
post #11 of 16

Looks great! The top is hard for me every time lol

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 17 Jun 2017 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 16

A large metal ruler/yardstick works.  Need to have enough ruler/yardstick to hold onto on each side as you drag the icing across the cake.  I do it by turning the cake 4 times; works great on a sheet cake too.

Shanelly Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 3:09am
post #13 of 16

That's a good idea thank you!  I will buy one and try that. 

Quote by @Kim1182 on 1 day ago

A large metal ruler/yardstick works.  Need to have enough ruler/yardstick to hold onto on each side as you drag the icing across the cake.  I do it by turning the cake 4 times; works great on a sheet cake too.

Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 21 Jun 2017 , 4:01am
post #14 of 16

The Profroster is my best friend!  It is much easier than any technique I have found on the internet.  It is a plastic bench scraper that has a bar across the top.  You get a flat top and sharp edges every time!

Shanelly Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 1:36am
post #15 of 16

This is exactly what I need thank you! 

Quote by @Rachel19 on 2 days ago

The Profroster is my best friend!  It is much easier than any technique I have found on the internet.  It is a plastic bench scraper that has a bar across the top.  You get a flat top and sharp edges every time!

Rachel19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel19 Posted 24 Jun 2017 , 2:25am
post #16 of 16

You're very welcome!  I will never frost another cake without it!  It saves me so much time and headaches!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%