Large Royal Icing Transfer

Sugar Work By Rosemary7391 Updated 15 Jun 2017 , 9:31pm by kakeladi

Rosemary7391 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosemary7391 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 15

Hello :)

I've made several successful royal icing toppers for cupcakes. I'd like to make a larger one, to go on top of a full sized cake, but when I tried it kept breaking. Does anyone have any tips on this - should I try to embed wires or similar in it to give it structure?

Thanks for reading! Rosemary

14 replies
Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 15

what is the style of the topper you are trying to create, do you have a picture?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 15

Perhaps you could make a buttercream transfer and apply it while it is still frozen.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 15

How large is large/full size cake to you?  Do you want the topper to stand up or just lay on the cake?  And as the other poster asked what are you trying to create?  Really, so sorry but we can't help much w/o knowing details.

Rosemary7391 Posted 14 Jun 2017 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 15

Sorry, it's clear in my head what I want to make but not in text!

This is a picture of the sort of thing I want to do, but lying down. That's a sheet of A4 paper underneath so that should give an idea of the size. I made 6 in total in case of breakages but they all broke when I tried to move them :( I wanted to stand it upright on the cake. I had no trouble with the smaller stars you can see just off to the left, made from the same batch of royal icing. 

Large Royal Icing Transfer

Thanks so much for your help :)

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 3:02am
post #6 of 15

If you want them to stand, why not use gum paste?

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 3:03am
post #7 of 15

...or better yet, pastillage?

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 3:46am
post #8 of 15

Yes I would just do gumpaste with a skewer or toothpick depending on how big they are.

Rosemary7391 Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 7:38am
post #9 of 15

Thanks both :) yes I guess I could use gumpaste although it'd be tricky to get the same effect between the pieces - like a little trough. I have a fair amount of royal icing to use up though! If it's not possible in royal icing I guess I'll just make a bundle of flowers or something smaller to use it.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 15

How thin is your royal? I would use a thicker consistency, tap the tray to smooth. Those can still be used. Use some thick royal and attach lollipop sticks to the back if you want them to stand up on the top. I freeze any left over royal, and remix when I need to do royal toppers. 

Rosemary7391 Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 15

It was fairly thick, I had to brush it out to the edges, but it was thinner than piping consistency. Did realise that you can freeze royal icing! Might try that, thanks :)

kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 15

You should be able to put down a couple of popsicle or sucker sticks before doing  your runout over them and let the stars dry well.   That should not break if they are dry.   Yes, they will be frigile but you still should be able to get them to stand up.   As far as I know one canNOT fz royal.  Being egg whites, I rather sure it will 'break down' when defrosted.     I do agree that using fondant (w/some Tylose for strengthing) would be a better way to go.  I totally can see what you are making turning out just fine w/fondant.

OOOHHHHHH I just thought of something........once the royal stars are dried well carefully turn them over and cover the back w/melted white chocolate.   OR you could do your royal on a 'plaque' of thin fondant.  Either add the backing after the royal has dried OR  do the royal over the fondant or choco.   Is that clear as mud? :)

Rosemary7391 Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 9:05pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks kakeladi! Yes, very clear indeed :) Perhaps I just need to be more careful taking them off the paper, but as I've got spare royal icing I shall take account of all the tips and give it another go. If that doesn't work then I'll go for something involving fondant :)

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions :)

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 15

@kakeladi ‍, spreading the RI over a dried gum paste or pastillage plaque is genius!  You would have the strength of the sugar paste and the aesthetic appeal of royal icing!  Perfect solution!

kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2017 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 15

Also I just realized no one has told you to use plastic wrap instead of wax paper or whatever else you are making those royal stars on.  It is *MUCH!* easier to remove them w/o breaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%