Italian Meringue Buttercream Texture

Baking By whatthecake Updated 10 Jun 2017 , 8:05pm by wntrdove

whatthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthecake Posted 9 Jun 2017 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 5

Something is off about my Italian meringue buttercream. It looks like it's super Airy but when I go to put it on the cake you just see lots of air pockets it's not smooth like it should be. Can someone help me? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. It definitely does not look like pictures I've seen of this type of icing. It tastes fine and it is not liquidy but it almost looks like it has too much air in it if that makes sense.

4 replies
PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 5

If it's just air bubbles, you may have beat them in by accident.  I have had it happen quite a few times.  With some time and effort, you can smooth out air bubbles by stirring the frosting by hand with a spatula, pressing and smoothing the icing against the bowl. Do it deliberately, but not crazy fast - you may beat in MORE bubbles. 

Waaaaaaay back in time, there was a thread about this (that's how I originally found out), and it included a link to - get this - a dental technician mixing up the goop that they use to make the molds for crowns etc.  It's very important that the goop has absolutely no air bubbles so they are taught to use this method to smooth them out.  I'll see if I can find the link here, or one similar online.  Someone here on CC may remember it too. 

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 5

OK. I couldn't find the original thread here on CC, but this is one I found on YouTube.

Seems weird to watch mixing dental alginate to fix our buttercreams, but it works!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 5

I use the whip for the meringue portion, then switch to the paddle when I add the butter.  Mix on low speed.  Sometimes I have to crank up the speed to get everything to incorporate and then use a spatula to kind of smash out the bubbles on the side of the mixer bowl, if that makes sense.

wntrdove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wntrdove Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 5

What Annie said... the paddle will also solve the problem if you whip air into with the balloon attachment. Just swap in the paddle and stick it on low for awhile and it will paddle the air bubbles out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%