My 2Nd Wedding......ideas Needed For My Reception Please

Baking By Naty Updated 8 Jun 2017 , 5:27pm by Naty

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone, after doing cakes, cupcakes, and cookies for others special events...its time for mine!

Here is the low down....

Second wedding for both of us. Small wedding, just our kids, family and close friends....about 35 total; sometime in 2018. So being our 2nd time around, we dont want anything extravagant or too pricey; we rather spend the bulk of our budget on our honeymoon.

So we are thinking of a reception at Brio...the food is great and they have a private room. Their prices are reasonable too.

Thinking of a Saturday lunch b/c is less costly and having the ceremony at the restaurant. Dinner would be nicer but its $15 more p/p so not sure if to go that route. Thinking the extra $15 p/p can go towards appetizers.

Anyway so i will do cookies as favors. As far as the cake, i havent talked to the restaurant caterer yet but i think you can bring your own cake but they charge a $1 p/p for cutting the cake. So thinking of personal cupcakes, or mini cakes instead? What do you think?

Should i even do a cake? Anyone done a sencond wedding?

Also, what is the beverage protocall for a lunch? if i do a lunch is wine ok? or do i need to do an open bar for lunch? Maybe a host consumption bar? I feel a full open bar is so expensive.....its $18 additional p/p.

Anyone has had a restaurant wedding at Brio? or other restaurant wedding?

Any ideas and input is appreciated.

Thank you :-)

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 8

This is your wedding, @Naty ‍, so whatever you choose is appropriate.  A lunch reception would be fine, why would dinner be better?  Personally, I would like it if someone were providing wine for my consumption, but I certainly would not be expecting it!  Wine optional, open bar, definitely not.

Individual cakes or cupcakes would be perfect.  Your guests would not have the opportunity to appreciate your lovely cake anyway, if it is going to be cut by the folks in the restaurant kitchen.

I totally agree with spending the bulk of your money on your honeymoon.  Your friends and family are not expecting to be entertained.  The important thing is that they get to share in the joy of the occasion. 

Congratulations, by the way (big smile)!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 8

As for the alcohol, I would offer beer and wine.  You could also do a specialty drink if you want to be a bit snazzy, but the majority of people at lunch would be perfectly happy with beer and wine.

For the cake, I would definitely have something sweet for dessert.  Don't be surprised if the restaurant still charges you a cutting fee even if you have single serve desserts.  It is basically their way of making up for the fact that they aren't getting money from you for their desserts.  Plus if the waitstaff still has to serve the dessert, then that is part of the cutting fee as well.

As for which direction to go, I would probably go with cupcakes....but that is probably because I love me a cupcake smile

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 8

Congratulations to you!

I'm not familiar with Brio but last fall my husband and I along with one of my brothers hosted an engagement party for our other brother - around 30 people.  The fabulous Italian restaurant we chose offered sit down lunch or buffet style for the same price.  We chose buffet (which actually translated to a LOT more food - we're Italian so we LOVE that!) We also said open bar and while most of the fam respected the $, some did not and drank a bottle of this or that on it's own.  You do not want a giant surprise at the end - believe me! Either work it out with the restaurant for what you will allow drinkwise or let people buy alcohol separately if you want to keep to a budget.

I also brought my own cake and they didn't charge me a cutting fee. 

Some sort of cupcake tower/display/etc with a little round on top for you and your hubby would be lovely ;)

Best,

Theresa

Naty Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 2:21am
post #5 of 8

Thank you ladies for all the tips!!!!!

I still have time but im keeping my options open for when i go talk to the caterer sometime next year.

I wanted an evening event because for me is "fancier" and i wanted to wear a nicer dress even a long gown perhaps. Also my 1st wedding was a 4 pm wedding, more of an afternoon wedding. The dinner vs. the lunch would definitely cost more....not sure if its worth it....im torn.

What do you think?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 8

I think you can still have a fancy wedding even if it is at lunch time.  Go a bit fancier with your food choices and have it served instead of a buffet.  You could also see, when you talk to the caterer, if you could have a small menu with say 3 choices for your guests to pick from.  Since you are having a small guest list, this could be something they may be willing to do.  It may up the cost a bit but it would up the fancy level in my opinion. 

As for your dress, you are the bride.  Wear what you want!  So rock that long gown!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 8

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I am sure whatever you decide it will be wonderful!! Who doesn't love cupcakes? I am with Freckles 0829 that you should wear whatever wedding dress you want to after all it is your wedding!!! I am sure you will make a beautiful bride!!!

Naty Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 8

Awww.....thanks do much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%