Big Cake Orders!

Baking By Cakesbybliss Updated 10 Jun 2017 , 9:11pm by Cakesbybliss

Cakesbybliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbybliss Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 19

Hi, 

i noticed a lot of the time when I look online to see the professional bakers out there they advertise cakes that have a tier or two that's a dummy cake which makes the cake look beautiful but cheaper since it's foam. The problem is whenever I have a client, they always tell me they have to feed around 200 people which results in such a big cake and is very costly for a fondant cake even if I charge only $5 a serving (in toronto, Canada) no one is willing to pay so much! Does anyone think it's okay to tell the clients that it's better to buy a smaller cake and just serve half servings? Or is that amount too little? On average my cakes are 4-5 inch tall so I feel like giving small square slices should work out for them! Ahhhh idk what to do!! It's so hard sometimes when they want so many servings!!! Ahhhh 

18 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 19

I would never suggest someone serve 1/2 portions as I feel the portion is small already.  Most people know hosting a wedding is going to be expensive.  There isn't much one can do to cut costs unless they do *everything* themselves......and even that isn't totally cheap.  We just have to educate people as to what it costs to make a cake.    OH, BTW:  using faux cakes really isn't that much of a cheaper way to go.  Maybe if they rent a cake and serve undecorated (just iced) sheets......I guess they could go that way.  It micht cut their cuost about in 1/2.   There is another post on this board regarding that subjuct....

kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 19

There is an old post about the  use of margerine vs butter that has some recent replies and one poster said this:  ........." What we do for our customers is a luxury. We provide them with custom goods that are handmade. We have to charge what is fair for our materials cost and our time"............

Applies well to your ?

Cakesbybliss Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 19

Thank you for your reply!

When I proposed a cake to her for $450.00 she emailed back saying "just like every bride I have a budget and my budget is $350.00 including delivery and tasting". Sometimes I get so confused. What do other home bakers do when so many clients have such a small budget yet they want to feed so many. 

I was wondering, why aren't the fake cakes cheaper? Don't they cut out a lot of our hours in baking, levelling, torting, filling and decrusting the cake? 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 3 Jun 2017 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 19

Fake cakes still need to be decorated, and that is where all the time comes in, and me, I'm getting paid for every bit of it. Edible or not. As a home Baker myself, I let them know the cost is x, and if it doesn't fit into their budget, I try to work with them to find something that does, and if it can't, they need to up their budget to get the cake or cupcakes that they want. I've had people ask for discounts....no. Want a waived delivery, charge....nope. There's a bakery a few miles away with a minimum per slice price of 9.00 for a fondant cake. Small budget and they want to feed 200+ people.....I refer them to Walmart. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 12:11am
post #6 of 19

You can make two tier smaller cakes and just make extra kitchen cakes that would only have frosting on it with no fondant for kitchen staff to cut up into square pieces.  I have also seen cupcakes in shape of a wedding cake that also look cute which they use the 1M tube and do the rose swirls on them on youtube.  Just a thought. Others here will probably have better suggestions. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 12:12am
post #7 of 19

I meant to say cupcakes in shape of a wedding dress. 

Cakesbybliss Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 12:26am
post #8 of 19

Thank you so much everyone! 

do you have a picture of the cupcakes! They sounds real cool! @remn

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 12:50am
post #9 of 19

Google wedding cake cupcake dresses. They are very cute! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 19

Number one - cake dummies are not cheap, probably no cheaper than real cake.

Number two - they take as long to decorate as real cake.

Number three - if you are planning a wedding for 200 people, you should not expect a cheap wedding       cake!  I would not even consider doing a wedding cake for 200 people for less than $1,000.00 and that is a plain jane.  $350.00 to feed 200 people, including delivery and tasting??!!!  Your bride is going to have to make and deliver her own cake, if that is what she expects.  I wonder if she expected to get a cheap wedding dress?  

Cakesbybliss Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 19

Lol @SandraSmiley ‍soooo many of my clients are like that. I feel hopeless sometimes. What it is that most of my clients are clients I find online and happen to be Indian. Indians host weddings with around 500 people on average here. All of them ask for rediculous prices! I recently started my cake business (last year) but wasn't able to give as much attention to it until this year because I have another job during the day. I sometimes get scared if I ask for the prices I deserve, people are going to freak out and just not buy from me at all! Ahhhhhh 

kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2017 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 19

Tell her that is not realistic.   Ever go to a resturant for dessert only......it costs NO LESS than $4 per person - so why should something like a wedding cake cost less ?  I cannot see anywhere that anyone will be able to get a cake *to serve 200* for that amount!

srichmond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srichmond Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 19

I had the same issue the other day. Customer called Saturday for a cake the following Friday to feed 70 people. Wanted three tiers covered in fondant with gum paste flowers. Didn't want to pay over 150.00. Sorry...no can do...

Cakesbybliss Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 19

Sometimes I feel a bit discouraged. I recently started the business but I really really would love to make it my main income but I get scared to give it my full time because I don't know if everyone will always be so cheap when it comes to paying for cakes. I wouldn't want it that I'm working so hard for like $200 on something that's worth $700! 

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 19

this is madness. If you want a wedding cake for 200 you just can't have it for $350 and that's that. Just move along, don't take the order. By the time you factor in your costs and time you'll be working for nothing.

I don't see why a dummy cake layer in there would reduce costs at all, because it is the decorating that takes the most time.

Tell her good luck finding a beautiful tiered wedding cake for that budget to feed so many.

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 7:26pm
post #16 of 19

Hi cakesbybliss! I do cakes out of my home too, and I can totally feel your pain!

I started off undercharging for my work or giving people massive discounts, and I regretted it every single time. First time customers would say this is my first order, please give me a discount as an incentive. Return customers would say, this is my 2nd order so you should give me a discount.

Long story short, I would give in, resent the customer, feel bad for every hour I spent on their order, feel awful after being underpaid and generally be unhappy.

It doesn't matter if the bride is pleading, it doesn't matter if you don't really need the money, it doesn't matter if you think you can make it up on the next order. You deserve to be paid for every minute you put in, no questions asked.

So if a customer comes in with a budget and a design way out of it, tell them what you can do for them in a similar style in their budget. If the bride wants to feed 200 people for $350, you can talk with her and agree on a simpler design, or let her know you won't be able to help her.

There's no need to feel guilty for not giving in to unreasonable demands, and it sure beats the resentment and regret you'll feel every time you look back at these orders.

Cakesbybliss Posted 6 Jun 2017 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you so much! :) @bakemee

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 7:15pm
post #18 of 19

@Cakesbybliss ‍ , I am sorry you are frustrated starting your business.  Keep in mind, however, that if you have lots of orders for huge, elaborate wedding cakes but the client is only paying a fraction of the value, you are not running a business, you are running a charity.  A person planning a wedding for 200 plus people DOES NOT NEED CHARITY!  And, honestly, I think they should be ashamed of themselves for trying to beg or shame the cake designer into discounting his work.  Giving in to unreasonable demands will only lead to greater frustration and disillusionment.  I am always uncomfortable when someone tries to weazel down the price because it immediately triggers the "trouble ahead" button. 

Stick to your guns and never sell yourself short.  It may take a while to find good clients, but they are out there.  Good luck!

Cakesbybliss Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 9:11pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you :) @sandrasm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%