Putting Cake Board Between Layers To Cut?

Decorating By valleycakegirl Updated 1 Jun 2017 , 11:05pm by SandraSmiley

valleycakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valleycakegirl Posted 31 May 2017 , 12:06am
post #1 of 9

Hi all!  This is my first time posting on CC, and I appreciate your help!

I am making a drip cake this weekend for a friend's birthday party.  I feel like anytime I make a layer cake, it doesn't look tall enough to me.   So I plan to make this cake with four 6 inch. round layers.  However, I feel like when cutting it for the party (as I'm sure I'm going to be asked to do), four layers is a lot of cake to serve to each person.  My question for you all was should I put a cake board between the second and third layers so that I get twice the amount of slices out of the cake?  Or is that dumb?

Thank you!

8 replies
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 31 May 2017 , 12:33am
post #2 of 9

I'd cut it in two layers.  Not dumb at all.  

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 31 May 2017 , 12:33am
post #3 of 9

I'd cut it in two layers.  Not dumb at all.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2017 , 1:27am
post #4 of 9

How deep are those 6" rounds 2"?  Though a 6"er really doesn't need dowelling, I suggest you place 2 layers   w/filling between on a cake board & put support in it,  You can completely ice it now or wait until you have the other two layers (treated the same way) on it. 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 31 May 2017 , 2:47am
post #5 of 9

Ice/serve as if it were a small double barrel?

valleycakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valleycakegirl Posted 31 May 2017 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you kristiemarie!

kakeladi Yes, they are 2".  That is a great idea about putting some support in it, I will definitely look into that. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 3:17am
post #7 of 9

Hello valleycakegirl.  I agree with Kakeladi, kristiemarie and GIGGEBOX2014, but I would torte each 2" layer into 1" layers and frost/fill between each.  That would give you eight layers total, layer-filling, layer-filling, layer-filling, layer.  That's the first half.  Add a few dowels for support, then on another cake board, do the same with the other four (sorted) layers.  Frost the first section, add a circle of wax paper (a little smaller than your cake board, then place the second section on top and finish frosting as one cake.  It will be easy to serve and each piece will have four 1" layers, a nice size serving.  This is easy, I do it a lot.  And, yes, it is a double barrel cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 9

.......Sandra said: ........  Frost the first section, add a circle of wax paper (a little smaller than your cake board, then place the second section on top and finish frosting as one cake.......

OH, how I differe in opinion on this :)   Do not use wax paper.  Put down a light coating of crumbs (cereal, dry cake, cookie, etc) instead.  Using wax paper can lead to the layers sliding apart.  Crumbs will keep them together better andthe icing will not stick to the board, coming off when you take the cake apart for serving.   Everything else she said is fine :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 9

I agree, kakeladi, that the crumbs sound like a better solution, but I haven't tried it.  Now I shall!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%