How To Deal With The Stress!

Lounge By Liramlis Updated 22 Jun 2017 , 1:21pm by Liramlis

Liramlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liramlis Posted 29 May 2017 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone :)

First off please forgive if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I'm new here!

Last year, after trying to fight my sugar addiction by wathing other people baking on youtube (lol) I started baking cakes and found out I loved it! A few months back my cousin asked me to bake the cake for her daughter's first birthday along with a cute sweets table. It was a massive challenge for me because I decided to make a 2 tier cake! It all went alright and everyone loved the cake and the decorations, I was soooo happy I pulled it off because I wasn't expecting much from my skills.

Anyway, since that time, more and more people started asking for cakes. I have great fun making them! I'm learning as I go and I actually enjoy the process of reasearching new techniques and trying new things. I'm learning all by myself so far.

My problem is... recently with more orders I've started stressing alot with the possibility of making mistakes or ruining a cake. I worry about every little fault in every cake I make, I know most people won't even notice it but it still bothers me so much that I can't sleep thinking about it! I got to a point I'm doubting my own ability to make and decorate cakes anymore, it seems like my cakes can never get good enough or perfect enough and I constantly worry that my customers will hate them and complain! 

So far none of this happened. I've had a few mishaps here and they but was always able to fix the problem!

The last cake I've made was this last weekend and it has left me sick and with a fever for worrying so much! The customer was quite picky and demanded alot of things so I was particularly worried about making everything perfect! The cake turned out really well, even though it was a pain to stack and I thought I would have an heart attack, and transporting it to the venue of the party was also a dreadfull experience. When I returned home I felt sick I spend the rest of the day in bed. Today one of my friends, that went to the party, told me that the staff at the restaurant damaged the cake at the front because they were not carefull with it. I feel so bad... I know this is not my fault but still I feel as if it is!

I love baking and decorating cakes but I'm starting to worry that this is starting to take a toll on my health. I've lost nights of sleep over cakes and get so nervous it makes me feel sick.

Does anyone else relates to this when they started out? What should I do to fight the stress? I really need help, I don't want to stop doing what I love :(

well I wanted to add a picture of the cake to share with you guys but I think it's too big and now I've no idea how to remove it lol sorry!

How To Deal With The Stress!

7 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 May 2017 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 8

Not everyone is cut out to be in business. (I don't know if you consider yourself a business or a hobby, but taking orders fits the definition of business.)

You don't have to stop doing what you love. But for the sake of your well-being, learn to say no. Say it nicely, but say it. Say it over and over and over again. I'm rooting for you! 

Liramlis Posted 30 May 2017 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you MimiFix :)

I guess I need to slow down a bit! Maybe practice some more with cakes for myself and family until I can get 100% confident with my skills. The things is... it's really hard to say no to people, more so when they are some friend's friend etc.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2017 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 8

I think I know exactly what you are going through.  I would have panic attacks to the point of actually throwing up!   Even today, being retired, if I am asked to make something I will have a mini panic.  I've done this for over 30 yrs - even owned 2 bakeries.  Mimi is right.......take it slow and practice lots.  The more sure you are of what you are doing the less you will become stressed.   Keep your family's needs above all......and that probably will mean saying no many, many times.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 May 2017 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

Just wanted to say your cake is so cute!! You did a wonderful job!! I love the angel on top!! Try not to stress yourself out. I remember I used to get pretty upset myself when cakes were not going as I wanted them to go. I was also stressed out. I never sold any but just gave them away mostly to children in the neighborhood for their birthdays.

Anyway, just try to have fun with them. Hang in there and keep the faith!!! Normally the person making the cake sees every little imperfection whereas the people you make it for do not. 

Beverly Edwards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beverly Edwards Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 8

I can definitely relate!   I have been baking and decorating for 2-3 years (part-time) and I still stress really bad.  I have trouble sleeping and run a low-grade fever and feel "run down".  It has really taken a toll on my health.  It takes a couple of weeks  before I feel stronger.  I am hoping with more experience the stress will be a lot less and it will be a more enjoyable experience.  Hope the same for you.

Levana91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Levana91 Posted 16 Jun 2017 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 8

Try to have a rest for a while and everything gonna be awesome ;)

Liramlis Posted 22 Jun 2017 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for your replies :) I've been changing a few things on the way I work and also tried to change my mindset about it all and I think things will get better!

We all just have to keep moving forward no matter what and I was making too much trouble out of nothing! I know stress will still come when I have big cakes to make but I'll try to do my best and keep strong... after all I love baking and there is soooo much still to learn!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%