11" Tall Layer Cake

Baking By Geegee1330 Updated 30 May 2017 , 4:38pm by kakeladi

Geegee1330 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geegee1330 Posted 28 May 2017 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

Hello I need a little help with infrastructure on my cake.  I am making a drum set cake for my sons party.  I have reduced all drum sizes by 1/3. Which left me with an 11x11 cake for the floor tom cake.  I'm thinking 5 2 inch layers plus the frosting should get me there.  Being 11" High what do I need to make sure it doesn't collapse in on itself.  Should I board every so many layers?  Do I need dowels under those boards?  I am doing a mirror glaze on the outside and using fondant for the rims and pouring store bought melted icing on the top for a smooth drum head look.  Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2017 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 4

.............. what do I need to make sure it doesn't collapse in on itself.  Should I board every so many layers?  Do I need dowels under those boards?................

Have you made a tiered cake?   You know for the most part one boards every 4-5" supported by doweling.   You don't say what size/how big these layers will be .... so I suggest 4 or 5 dowels in each 'tier' should be about right.  As for using melted store bought icing....just don't get it overheated...... and work quickly.   Make sure everything is in order before melting the icing.  Are you doing that in the MW or on stove top?  If MW, put the icing in a pitcher type container; MW just until most of the icing is liquid, stiring until it all melts before pouring it all around the top of the 11" tall cake.  Being that tall is going to be difficult to cover w/poured icing - getting it completely covered :(  I think I'd start close to the top edges to get it to run down the sides.  Once that is covered, then finish up the top.  The thing is that once the icing is melted it cools quickly so as I said you have to work quickly to got the whole thing covered.   Also I have found once canned icing in melted it cannot be remelted/used again :(  Be sure to put the cake you're working on in a shallow pan to catch the drips from pouring.  If you're a thrifty person like me, seeing all that 'wasted' icing is going to hurt.....you could maybe use it to cover some cookies or cupcakes if you don't care how they end up looking :)

Hummmmm, that's all I can think of right now.   Good luck.

Geegee1330 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geegee1330 Posted 28 May 2017 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks it won't be in tiers just one very large cake.  If it was just 3 layers I wouldn't worry so much but with 5 I thought I read that you should board every 4 layers.  Each layer will be 2 inches so it will be very heavy.  Especially since I it's 11" round.  I'm not real concerned with the wasted store bough icing the side will be done with a mirror glaze over the buttercream and it spreads really well.  The store bought will just be on top.  I am already so deep financially into this cake that a little wasted icing isn't a problem lol but my son is leaving for the military and he asked for this for his party so I WILL make it happen even if it puts me in a straight jacket lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2017 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 4

O.k. I understand  better now:)  Yes, board/support every 4" to 5".  Still, 4 or 5 dowels will be enough support. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%