Fruit Cake Uncovered While Baking - What Course Do I Take?

Baking By queenofpi

queenofpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenofpi Posted 28 May 2017 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 1

Evening all!

I've just baked Delia Smith's rich fruit cake (12" square) and it's come out a little crispy on the very top. Now, this is due to be the bottom tier of my mother-in-law's wedding cake in 6 weeks, so after copious feeding with brandy I was planning on covering it in marzipan and icing and feeling smug with all the compliments on my baking skills.

Unfortunately in my smugness I forgot to cover the cake with greaseproof paper/parchment/foil/anything, which of course has led to the current crispiness. The way I see it, I have three options:

1. Leave the cake exactly as it is, feed it as planned and hope for the best.
  2. Leave it for now, feed as planned and cut off the top layer carefully before icing.
  3. Feed the cake to the other half/workmates (possibly for a month or so as it's 12" square) and try again next weekend.

Other half is currently circling the kitchen armed with a cake fork, so he would certainly appreciate advice towards 3. However, this cake dominated my Sunday afternoon, so unless the wedding guests will find it horrible I would prefer not to remake it.

Yours in hopeful, thankful anticipation,

Nicki

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%