Plastic Figurine Cake Topper

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 27 May 2017 , 8:19pm by kakeladi

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 27 May 2017 , 4:39am
post #1 of 5

Hello all.  I have a request for a cake with a Disney character as a topper.  I bought a plastic figurine which is about 5" tall, but now I just realized that I don't know how to attach it to the top of the cake so it doesn't fall over.  I know I can't duplicate the character using fondant, gumpaste or modeling chocolate which would allow me to insert  skewers in the legs.  So does anyone have any suggestions how I can attach the figurine to a 6" round cake?  I really want it to be on top of the cake as requested, but my only other option would be to hot glue it to the cake board at the bottom of the 10" round cake.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  The cake is due in July.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 27 May 2017 , 5:04am
post #2 of 5

You could add a couple of dowels in to the 6" cake, place the topper on a finished board, and place it on top. I've done that when necessary and it still looks nice. 

ypierce82 Posted 27 May 2017 , 5:07am
post #3 of 5

I just read your post again. You don't need to add dowels if it is plastic and light. You could glue it to a cake board. I'm tired and not thinking rationally lol

ypierce82 Posted 27 May 2017 , 5:09am
post #4 of 5

Or glue skewers to the legs? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 May 2017 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

Possibly you could make gumpaste 'spikes'  and attach them to the plastic figure legs?  Or as the other posted mentioned, glue skewers, toothpicks, or similar to the figure's legs/feet.   It should be very light so nesstled in a nice, generous dollop of buttercream or melted choco would hold it.   Depending on how the top of the 6" is decorated you could surround it w/flowers or other decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%