Rose Cutter - What Size

Decorating By Coffeelover77 Updated 1 Jun 2017 , 11:03pm by SandraSmiley

Coffeelover77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coffeelover77 Posted 26 May 2017 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 12

I want to practice making roses just for fun and the only cutters I have are small, so they make tiny roses. But I'm not sure what size cutters make "realistic" roses? Plus I think you need two sizes?

If I bought a 100mm and a 90mm would that be good? or should they be even bigger. I'm talking about the five petal style cutters.

If you use these large cutters will one wire still hold the rose?

thank you!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 May 2017 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 12

yes one wire will hold -- just use a heavy enough wire -- or you could weave a couple together if you only have one size -- weave, twist, braid whatever -- you might need to double wrap with the flower tape --

as far as your small cutters -- roll your gum paste thicker, cut out petals, roll again -- presto change-o larger roses blush 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 3:03am
post #3 of 12

@Coffeelover77 ‍ , I don't use cutters for my flowers.  For roses, I roll little balls, then shape them roughly into a cone and flatten with my finger.  I then roll out the gum paste thin enough to read through, keeping the gum past a little thicker toward to bottom center (for support).  If it looks like your petal is a little too big, just trim it with an Xacto knife.  I find the irregularity of the hand made petals lend a more realistic look.  If you find that your original wire is too weak, add a couple more lengths of were to it and wrap with floral tape.  That also helps add bulk to the stem like a real rose.

Rose Cutter - What Size

Coffeelover77 Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 12

wow sandra that is a beautiful rose! It looks so real!

How long does it take to make a rose for you using this method of one petal at a time?

Coffeelover77 Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 12

@-k8memphis that's a good idea about cutting then rolling again! yes maybe when i try a bigger rose I'll just wind two wires together :) thank you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 12

breathtaking rose, sandra -- you are in good company -- sylvia weinstock doesn't use cutters either -- 

re-rolling also gives you more irregularity so i was waiting to give your same answer to that as well -- so thanks for sharing :)

and thank you, coffeelover, works nice for most flowers -- best to you. my friend

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you, @Coffeelover77 ‍ !  It takes me two or three hours (told you I was as slow as Christmas!) to make a rose like this, smaller ones not so long.  It took me just as long when I used cutters.  I don't know how I evolved into this technique, but I like it and it works for me.

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much, @-K8memphis!  Dang, I AM in good company to even be mentioned in the same sentence with Sylvia Weinstock!  I think it is my artist soul that finds it more satisfying to do everything by hand.  I do use tools, but not very many - lace mats, veiners, etc. that I can't live without.

Coffeelover77 Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 4:17pm
post #9 of 12

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 1 hour ago

Thank you, @Coffeelover77 ‍ !  It takes me two or three hours (told you I was as slow as Christmas!) to make a rose like this, smaller ones not so long.  It took me just as long when I used cutters.  I don't know how I evolved into this technique, but I like it and it works for me.

I think for such a beautiful and perfect rose 2-3 hours is very reasonable!

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you, sweet Coffeelover77!

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 12

SandraSmiley... that is a beautiful rose! awesome work!

SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2017 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much, Bakerlady2!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%