Grainy Frosting

Baking By Nicia Updated 2 Jun 2017 , 10:06pm by Silmarpinsar

Nicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicia Posted 25 May 2017 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 13

I made peanut butter frosting with granulated sugar and it is a little too grainy.  Got a fix?

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2017 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 13

As far as I know any frosting made with granulated sugar would be grainy unless it was cooked w/liquid.  That's why most icing are made with powdered sugar.

Nicia Posted 26 May 2017 , 12:35am
post #3 of 13

Thank you.  Well, I have made this before without it being grainy.  I think I let it cook a little too long.  It was good thoughblush.

Nicia Posted 26 May 2017 , 12:38am
post #4 of 13

Hi ypierce82, I couldn't get through to see your response.  I'll check back later.

Nicia Posted 26 May 2017 , 12:46am
post #5 of 13

Got it ypierce,  thanks.

No I also have a chocolate frosting handed down to me and it is made with granulated also.  No problem with these.  I think I just cooked my peanut butter a little too long and thought someone might know what to do to fix it.  I did add a couple of tbsps. of cream, stirred it and put it on the cake that was made for my husband.  He will love it.  Thanks again.  relaxed

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 26 May 2017 , 2:11am
post #6 of 13

I don't even know where it went lmao

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 26 May 2017 , 4:01am
post #7 of 13

I had a recipe that used granulated sugar. One time I made it and it turned out wonderful. Every time after that it was always grainy. Some people say to use about a tablespoon or two of corn syrup when you are cooking the frosting with regular granulated sugar and that is supposed to stop the sugar from being grainy. Not sure if this works or not because I now just use 10X sugar instead!!! 

Nicia Posted 28 May 2017 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you for responding.  I have noticed most all the recipes I could find online were using 10X sugar.

I will tell you that I was looking for a remedyfor my frosting that seemed to be grainy.  Not a lot but a little more than I wanted.  I spread it on the cake and it was never noticed by all that shared it with my husband.  They loved it and asked for the recipe.

Remember, I mentioned I was sure I cooked it a little too long and wondered if anyone had a remedy to fix it.

I normally test for soft ball stage in a glass of cold water.  This time I was trusting a candy thermometer and it hadn't reached the stage for soft ball yet.  I thought it was taking too long so I tested it in the cold water to find it had already reached soft ball, I took it off the heat and stirred it to cool.  I wont trust  that again! 

You don't have to cook something a long time before it reaches soft ball by testing in a glass of water and that has always worked for me before.

My error was that I normally just bring it to soft ball by testing in the cold water, and don't use the thermometer.

I'm almost 74 and have made a lot of frostings, but can always learn something new.  So I took to the internet to see if there was a remedy I had never heard of.

I have a recipe for chocolate frosting handed down from a great cook born in 1926 and I always use the cold water to test for that frosting as I learned not to trust the thermometer.  But, it had been awhile and I just stuck the thermometer in the frosting this time and shouldn't have.  smirk

I have made a lot of 10x frosting that I love too much, but for these recipes I like the old fashioned results blush.

Thanks to everyone for your willingness to help!

I am also looking for a recipe for bread pudding if anyone has an old family recipe satisfied.

Silmarpinsar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silmarpinsar Posted 29 May 2017 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 13

I was going to say that! In my country merengue is one of the main frostings used, and the sugar syrup can crystallize if it misses the right temperature (overheating). Also, if you stir it too much  it might form sugar crystals (it happened to me the first time I made hard candy!).  

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 30 May 2017 , 2:30am
post #10 of 13

What is the soft ball method in the glass of water?

Nicia Posted 30 May 2017 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you Silmarpinsar.  Please send me your recipe for merengue, I would appreciate it so much.

aldonza,  I will try to explain. 

The method I use is when I am cooking my frosting, and it doesn't take too long for it to reach this point, I set a small tall glass of water with an ice cube or little crushed in the water by the stove.  Before it ever simmers, when I think it is hot, I will hold the spoon up, let the icing run off till it  is just a drips and I drip it into the water.  When it falls it will become a little ball.  If it just splashes flat, it is not ready.  It will drop as a soft ball and will land as a soft ball.  Of course it will dissipate after laying there.  Its the appearing of the soft ball you want to see.  You probably could google it to get a better description.

Thanks for your responses  heart

Silmarpinsar Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 13

So sorry for the delay! I have a ton, actually, but my favorite is this one:

1 cup white sugar with 1/3 cup water 

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar 

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes. Frost the cake of your choice

I would advice to get the sugar to hard ball stage, specially if you are planning to pipe with it! The first time I made this I was still using a hand held electric mixer, but I frosted some cupcakes with it and it held beautifully! 

Silmarpinsar Posted 2 Jun 2017 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 13

Also, when it gets into the water you will be able to form the soft ball and hold it with your fingers (give it a couple of seconds in the water so you don't burn yourself!). I don't use ice, just a regular cup of water so maybe thats why I have to form it myself haha 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%