Decorating Without Fondant - Help

Decorating By pbeck80 Updated 26 May 2017 , 1:26am by GIGGLEBOX2014

pbeck80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeck80 Posted 25 May 2017 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all - I was hoping I could get some help with a cake I have to make. I have hung around here for years (with a different screenname) and know you all give excellent advise.

My daughter is turning 16 in two weeks and sadly I am not going to be able to order her the cake we wanted because of finances. So while I was searching for ideas I came across several that she really loves, but the problem is they all have fondant icing. She HATES fondant icing. I have tried several kinds and she just doe not like any of them.

So the question is how can I decorate something like this without using fondant? I probably should add that I am a passable decorator on simple things, but really have never tried anything this complex before, so it is slightly terrifying. I am at a loss because this is her 16th birthday. We already cant do a huge party for her, and she is so deserving, I at least want to get this part right.

Decorating Without Fondant - HelpDecorating Without Fondant - Help

7 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 25 May 2017 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 8

Could you do at least the decorations in fondant and do the cake in butter cream? Some things just aren't possible with butter cream alone. 

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 25 May 2017 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 8

Have to agree with ypierce82 here. Sometimes you gotta think outside the box. You could bc Your cake smooth & let it crust over & try modeling chocolate ( or candy clay...4 bags of wilton wafer melts & a cup light corn syrup) .  I've made flowers from a bunch of soften up Tootsie Rolls & also Jolly Ranchers candies. Just roll them out cut out with cookie cutters for different shapes or roll out & cut out by hand shapes of your own (like flames).  You'll do great& she'll love it!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

You certainly can do the top pic in b'cream:)   Yes, I suggest, as the others said, to make a couple of the decos in fondant  (the fork(?) and circle).  The rest can be done w/b'cream easily.   The other design probably will be a bit harder but still do-able.  The starflowers on the sides could be dropflowers made right on the cake or (I feel even better) ahead & allowed to airdry.       If you do use fondant I would try to make it thinner than what showes in the pix.  Also have you tried flavoring fondant?   Just knead in extract a bit at a time.....I've done that many a time:) 

pbeck80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeck80 Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 8

I really like the idea of the top picture, because it would allow me to include several of her favorite things but it looks like someone actually drew with makers or something on the icing. is this something that you can only do with fondant? I am not a great artist when it comes to working with a icing bag, but give me markers or paint and I can do pretty well.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 8

Food color markers could work on super cold buttercream, but painting would be easier.  Use gel colors straight up or add a little alcohol to it to thin it out.  You can absolutely paint on buttercream :)  Just keep it cold.  If it starts to soften, just pop it back into the fridge for a few minutes.

BakedByBex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedByBex Posted 25 May 2017 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 8

You could also use chocolate/candy melts in the colors you need, especially for the flames (google making flames from melted chocolate) and you can print out the words on paper in any font you want and place it under parchment paper to easily trace them with the melted chocolate unto the parchment paper, as well as use modeling chocolate to make any of the decor.

My family also hates fondant so I've had to get familiar with using chocolate when I can, they don't usually eat the decor anyway but somehow it makes them much happier when I say it's all chocolate!

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 26 May 2017 , 1:26am
post #8 of 8

Print some templates out and either trace it with melted chocolate in a piping bag or cut it out of fondant. That is the easiest way I know to do it without freehanding it. I make most of my toppers and such out of melted chocolate, cause I'm not a fan of fondant either. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%