Decorating With Butter Icing

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 25 May 2017 , 8:20pm by kakeladi

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 23 May 2017 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

Thinking about entering my first cake competition. The only criteria are that it should be a butter icing cake , decorated with butter icing.

What would the judges be looking for? What would mark me up or down?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 May 2017 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 4

Most likely they are looking for American buttercream like this recipe:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

As to what might mark you up or down?   That is very hard to say.  You should be given a list of rules/suggestions.  Be sure to follow them exactly.  It depends on who the judge(s) is.  If this is a local county fair it could be the editor(s) of a local newspaper's women's page. I had that happend one yr - they knew nothing about decorating!  Or if the contest is more of a state/area wide it could be retired decorators.  Depending on how old they are (how long ago they retired) they could be very up to date on new techniques and designs.  The best thing for you is don't expect to win anything - just enter for the experience/practice to try a new technique doing your very, very best work.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 25 May 2017 , 3:19am
post #3 of 4

Thank you, kakeladi, for your support and advice. I'm much more of a fondant gal than a buttercream gal. I avoid piping as much as possible. Sometimes I get nudges from people, wanting me to broaden my horizons, although I just love doing what I do. No pressure since I'm a hobby cake decorator. Friends and family are usually pretty flexible - happy to receive a free cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 4

Hey now, I want to see what you end up doing and of course hear that you won Best of Show! :)    If you need idea look through my album as I worked mostly w/b'cream. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%