Best Way To Secure Cake To Cakeboard

Decorating By Freckles0829 Updated 24 May 2017 , 12:08pm by Freckles0829

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 23 May 2017 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 5

I have read a few threads about this topic but I just wanted to get some clarification and to see if what I had in mind would work or is crazy.  I am making two 8 inch round cakes for a birthday party.  They will each be decorated on an 8 inch piece of cardboard and then be placed on their own fondant covered cake board.  So to secure the cardboard base to the cake board I was thinking of using looped duct tape in a "X" pattern.  The cake boards were made about a week ago so the fondant is completely hard.  Will this keep the cake in place?  Is there a possibility of the duct tape pulling up the fondant from the cake board?  I had considered hot glue, but wasn't sure how that would react to the fondant covered cake board.  I have hot glue, tacky glue, fondant, piping gel, duct tape, packing tape and buttercream at my disposal.

At any rate, I just want to make sure that these cakes are not going anywhere when my client comes to pick them up.  The last thing I want is to get a call that the cake slid off the board in transport.

4 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 23 May 2017 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 5

I use duct tape in an x as you described, but I also cut a circle out of the fondant where the cake will go, so it kind of rests in a "hole."  Saves a bit of a fondant as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 May 2017 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 5

I also have used duct tape and packing tape........I prefer the latter.   And yes, do as 640 said^^^^.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 May 2017 , 2:20am
post #4 of 5

So your talking putting your finished cake, with it's own cardboard, on the decorated cake board? I've alway used either royal icing or melted chocolate. Dries rock hard, and cakes never move.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 24 May 2017 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 5

I ended up going with a combo of duct tape and piping gel.  Worked like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%