What To Do When You Believe A Bride Is Not Being Truthful?

Business By marsh Updated 22 May 2017 , 10:02pm by -K8memphis

marsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marsh Posted 22 May 2017 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 4

Well, after decades of consistent baking (mostly wedding cakes)...I received an email from a bride stating that she was disappointment in her wedding cake. 

Back story, it was a last minute wedding cake order (as in 2-3 weeks ago).  I made up a sample box, to which she enjoyed.  She ordered 2 of the flavors and 2 other of my flavors.  The cake was delivered and I was told it was beautiful (never met the bride prior to this).

2 days after the wedding, I receive an email from the bride stating the cake tasted like chemicals (I use NO chemicals in my cakes) and that they had to throw the entire thing away.  She then states that she wants a full refund as they couldn't "risk" having their guests eat it.  She then says 1/2 of their guests also said it tastes like chemicals.  And that if I want to try some, she has some leftover.  Lots of contradictions in her email.  In closing she states that she wants a prompt response or she will find "another form of communication". 

Since I baked other cakes the same day, using all the same flavors...and have already gotten rave reviews (one even from a bride ON her honeymoon because she couldn't wait to tell me!)...I know she is not telling the truth.  She had 4 different flavors (which were also in all my other cakes this weekend).  How could they all have "chemical taste"?  I guess I would believe her more if she didn't enjoy 1 of the flavors (maybe just not her taste).  But, she samples the flavors 2 weeks prior and liked them.  We always make up cupcakes with every batch and have a bite to check for quality.  They all passed our inspections.  Also, in the mix is the fact that she ordered last minute because her other cake got "canceled" (not sure if by her or her baker).  I feel as though this was planned ahead of time.

My question is...

I'm sure I have an onslought of bad reviews coming from her.  How do I deal with that?  Respond to each one in a professional way (just like I did in my email to her)?  Or, ignore and let all of my 5 star reviews do the talking for me?

I knew after more than 2 decades, I'd have an issue like this someday.  I've been SO lucky with such amazing couples along the way...

3 replies
marsh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marsh Posted 22 May 2017 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

I should add that the bride was "too busy" to pick up her sample box so her mother did for her...typically I meet and sit down with my brides.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2017 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 4

If a bride (or her family) insists on a FULL REFUND it usually means they overspend on the wedding and are trying to recoup some of it.  Check w/any other vendor connected w/this wedding - the venue, photographer, etc to see if she has demanded a refund.  Yes, from what you tell us here,  there seems to be  Lots of contradictions in her email.  HOw is it that she had to throw it all out so as not to risk her guests eating it but then states that some of the guests did??   What does your contract with her say regarding refunds?  If she wants a full refund then she must present to you the whole cake uneaten.  Good luck.  Yes, this probably will bring some bad reviews but you have to weigh how they will effect you - personally and busniness.  Most likely she will not go further - she's all hipe and no guts.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2017 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 4

i'm sorry that happened -- it really does sound fishy -- but how could half of her guests taste it if they couldn't serve it -- and if she threw the whole thing away why does she have leftovers -- you were right when you said there were a lot of contradictions!

check with some of the other vendors -- 

this is a pia for you -- so sorry -- it's like splitting the baby -- stand your ground 'cause she's a flake and she'll ding you on social media -- give in and betray yourself -- no easy way to go --

standing on your 5 star rating sounds like the best idea -- 'cause if you give a partial -- it's admitting she's right and she's likely to still ding you anyway --

wah wah -- hate this for you -- price of doing business i guess 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%