Buttercream Vs Heat

Decorating By dillluvsbaking Updated 24 May 2017 , 10:28am by Brooke14

dillluvsbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillluvsbaking Posted 22 May 2017 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Fellow Decorators!

I have been requested to make a graduation cake for this summer. The clients requested that I do a 2-tiered cake and NO FONDANT (except for the graduation cap I'm making.) Well, living here in Arizona and our summers getting 100+ degrees by June, worries me for this cake. They plan on having an outdoor venue and I'm worried my buttercream recipe won't hold up if left outside.

The typical buttercream recipe I use consists of only: Powdered Sugar, Butter (Unsalted), Vanilla, and Heavy Cream which works and tastes amazing but I've never used it for a cake left outside. Would you recommend I use a Shortening/Butter combination for my Buttercream to give it a stronger hold? I personally dislike using Shortening as it leaves a greasy feel in my mouth, unless any of you know of a good recipe that doesn't leave that greasy feel.

Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Dill

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 May 2017 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

I also worked where summer temps could be over 100 (today it's 99*F) and had several order b'cream wedding cakes for outdoors.  One in perticular that I remember requested I set rather early in the day only to find out the reception didn't start until something like 6 p.m. so the cake sat in the yard w/o any shade at all.  I was told by someone who attended that it was fine......didn't melt, but was 'maybe a bit dry'.   My icing recipe was similar to yours except 1/2 butter, 1/2 Crisco.  Every body's tastes are different; I don't notice a greasy feel.....        The other thing is maybe you can arrange to have the cake kept indoors - refrigerated or just in air conditioned room - then brought out at the last minute.  

Another suggestion is for you to make a small cake now and put it outside in the same time frame (& maybe the same location?) and see what happens.....how long before it changes - melts or dries out.   I found here b'cream didn't melt but rather dried out when exposed to heat. 

Brooke14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke14 Posted 22 May 2017 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 6

I agree that shortening leaves that greasy feel but for stabilization in heat sometimes it's necessary. I would either do half shortening and half butter or do as recommended above. I made a wedding cake for a July wedding that was outdoors and our heat and humidity here in TN is ridiculous sometimes. It was sweltering that day and I went with a more shortening buttercream simply because of this. I personally served the cake and not one guests complained but raved over the cake.

dillluvsbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dillluvsbaking Posted 23 May 2017 , 3:29am
post #4 of 6

@Brooke14 ‍ 

@kakeladi ‍ 

Thank you both so much for the input! My one question for you both is when making a Shortening/Butter variation of Buttercream do you notice any greasy feel when doing half/half? Does creaming them very well help with that feel? Just curious for your opinions. 

Thanks!

tashakitchencat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tashakitchencat Posted 23 May 2017 , 7:46am
post #5 of 6

I would recommend a meringue buttercream as it's more stable in the heat. There's no cream in it either which will help with the high temps. You can add in a few tbsp of shortening to help keep it stable too. 

Brooke14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke14 Posted 24 May 2017 , 10:28am
post #6 of 6

@dillluvsbaking ‍  I cream my shortening and butter together first until they are smooth and silky. That seems to help. I've never noticed a greasy feel. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%