Should You Trim Edges Before Icing A Cake?

Decorating By Rosstracc Updated 17 Mar 2018 , 1:25pm by jchuck

Rosstracc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosstracc Posted 20 May 2017 , 4:00pm
post #1 of 31

As per the title, before decorating a cake should you trim the sides of a cake? Or bottom? 

30 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2017 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 31

This ? is going to bring you many different opinnions.  This is a personal thing really.   With the 1,000s of cakes I made I never did.  I see no need.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 May 2017 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 31

I'm with @kakeladi ‍.    

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 21 May 2017 , 1:08am
post #4 of 31

Chocolate cake I don't bother, any other light coloured cake I do as I don't like the brownish edge look when you cut the cake. I fill mine and then trim the edges.

I also do the bottom of the cake very finely before filling the cake.

I think it is personal preference though, I find it only takes an extra few minutes as I mainly use a 6 inch tin as I am only baking for us so I am quite happy to do it.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 21 May 2017 , 3:18am
post #5 of 31

Definitely a personal preference. I do not, unless there is a need to.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2017 , 12:16am
post #6 of 31

I don't either.

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 22 May 2017 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 31

I prefer to as it help me get straighter sides. 

Brooke14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke14 Posted 22 May 2017 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 31

totally up to you! Ron Ben-Isarel would say yes every single time. LOL! But I do not unless I think my edges are too dark. It is a cosmetic look in my opinion. My cakes never really have a dark color to begin with unless I leave longer than I typical which only happens if I am totally distracted.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 23 May 2017 , 2:45am
post #9 of 31

Like Bakerlady2, I only trim my sides if required to make a straighter surface.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 24 May 2017 , 2:33am
post #10 of 31

I only trim to get a even cake all around. Or it's a naked cake.  That's it. Aestheticly it really makes zero difference. Once your cakes are covered in  buttercream/ ganached then perhaps fondant, who can ever  see the egdes?? And I can tell you, 99.99% couldn't tell, wouldn't notice, or care.

mkcherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcherry Posted 8 Jun 2017 , 8:10am
post #11 of 31

I only do it for white wedding cakes, that brown edge between layers and between the frosting and rest of the white cake doesn't give you that perfect wedding cake magazine look when its sliced into.  If I use parchment paper my cake bottoms are fairly pale and the top is sliced off anyways anyhow so i dont bother on every day cakes 

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 12:00pm
post #12 of 31

It also depends on the cake.  Some cakes, like pound cakes, have a harder crust and do need to be trimmed.  I judge by the type of cake whether to trim or not.  I have also found that it helps to get my corners sharper on square cakes if I trim them.  My crumb coat is slightly thicker on trimmed layers.  Hope that helps!

lvdenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvdenver Posted 14 Mar 2018 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 31

I have a New question regarding trimming the edges. 

If I do have the need to trim the out edge of my round cake....HOW do I Do it?

I baked, cooled, and wrapped two layers in cling wrap last night.  Tonight I want to fill and frost. But, the outer edges are more Done than in towards the center....by about 1/4" .  What is a good way (because everybody has their own opinion of 'Best way') to remove that edge?

Thanks!

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Mar 2018 , 11:52pm
post #14 of 31

I fill and stack my layers, place my hand firmly on top to hold the cake steady (with a cake board between my hand and the cake) and use a seriated to trim, starting at the top edge and cutting straight downward to the bottom, being careful to not angle the knife.

lvdenver Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 12:36am
post #15 of 31

Hi SandraSmiley.....

When you do all of that, What is the cake sitting on? As in is it elevated so that when you make the downward cut the blade is able to go past the bottom of the cake? I'm confused as to how you would Saw like that if the cake it sitting flush to whatever surface you are using. 

Does that make any sense whatsoever?

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 12:55am
post #16 of 31

I always have mine sitting on a cake board on the turntable.  I am talking about trimming the sides.  Are you talking about trimming the tops so they are flat?

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 12:56am
post #17 of 31

Why would you have a need to go past the bottom of the cake?

lvdenver Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:51am
post #18 of 31

Not talking about the tops...I have a leveler for that. But the last 1/4 inch or so that I have from, let's say the edge of the pan, to where it unfortunately domed.  I was thinking instead of cutting off so much of the dome, if I cut straight up and down, 1/4 of the side of the cake, that it would somehow be better.

That 1/4 inch ring looks a bit overdone. While the rest of it looks lovely.

And as for going past the bottom....what I meant was, does your knife bump the cake board when you cut downwards?

I think I am making this much harder than it needs to be.  This may be why I was better at making Fondant figurines, than I am at frosting cakes.  lol

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:53am
post #19 of 31

I can’t trim my cakes stacked. I find that too difficult, and I don’t get even sides.  I have a cardboard template of my cake pan I baked the cakes in. I put the template on each individual cake, however many I’m stacking  two or three. Template is my guide, placed on top of the cake, I place my hand on the template and using serrated knife follow the edges of the cardboard to trim the cakes all round. Cakes are all even, then I stack my cakes.

lvdenver Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:59am
post #20 of 31

Okay, guys......I think I know why I am confusing you......

When you trim....what position is your knife in?  Horizontal or Vertical?

SandraSmiley...that would explain why you think I'm nuts talking about going past the bottom of the cake.  My Mind is picturing the knife Vertical, which is why it would hit the board.

jchuck....the template sounds like a good idea to/for me.

I really don't mean to sound so dense. It's just that I don't have a lot of chances to do these things right.  I don't have the supplies to be able to whip out a cake whenever I feel like it.  And I want it to turn out nice, even though it will probably just be for me.

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 2:40am
post #21 of 31

You don't sound nuts!  It is hard to explain what you are thinking.  I have my knife in a horizontal position and, although my layers are already stacked, I use the cake boards as a guide, too.

If you are just trying to make sure your tops are perfectly flat all the way across, it really isn't necessary.  You can always fill in the slight indention at the outer edges with buttercream when filling the cake.

lvdenver Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 3:03am
post #22 of 31

Yay!  From what you just said, Sandra, I finally did something right.....well, did something 'okay'. 

I used the leveler, then dammed and filled in the first layer (right side up. Next I flipped the second layer over, placed it on top, and piped in a Whole lot of the Buttercream. Oh, I filled with the Pastry Cream. Then I did a crumb coat. I think my frosting is too thick/stiff. After a few minutes, the frosting started pulling up parts of the cake. Not too much to ruin it, but enough to prevent me from trying to get a really smooth side.

And now it's gone to bed for the night....into the fridge.

Thanks for all your help.....Again!

C-

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 3:06am
post #23 of 31

Your welcome Ivedenver...

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 3:36am
post #24 of 31

You are very welcome.  It does sound as though your frosting was a bit too thick.  You probably want to thin it down a little before your final finish.  You need to re-mix it anyway, to fluff it back up.

lvdenver Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 7:09am
post #25 of 31

Oh, Okay.  If I made Buttercream with Shortening, butter, water and conf sugar, what would be the best to thin it out?  From memory, it was like 1 1/2C Short, 1/2C Butter, 4tsps water, 2lbs sugar, and flavoring.

I have No clue what works to thin it.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 7:39am
post #26 of 31

You can use water, milk, or even heavy whipping cream. Up to you.

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:45pm
post #27 of 31

Exactly as Gigglebox2014 said, it's really your choice.  Any liquid will work, even fruit juice or pureed fruit.

jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 1:47pm
post #28 of 31

Yes Ivdenver as GIGGLEBOX2014 posted. And liquid will thin out your icing. Rule of thumb for crumb coating your cake is a medium consistency icing. A little looser than your regular icing.

lvdenver Posted 15 Mar 2018 , 5:36pm
post #29 of 31

Hi everybody....thanks for the replies, and the suggestions/ideas.

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 17 Mar 2018 , 7:39am
post #30 of 31

I'm still leery of the fruit puree and juice only because I've had a few bad experiences. It made my buttercream separate and look curdled (sp?)  , but I have read on here numerous times that others use it without issue. So I would suggest using very little at a time cause the texture and consistency changed very quickly the times I attempted using fruit or the juice. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%