Frustrated With These Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 26 May 2017 , 4:29am by Bakell

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 19 May 2017 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 17

Frustrated With These Gumpaste RosesI feel like these don't look like roses.  

16 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 May 2017 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 17

Thinner edges help make them look "softer" and color shading with dusts brings them more life as well. But they look very nice!

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 19 May 2017 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 17

checkout Ann McGreevy rose tutorial on youtube, she makes some really realistic looking roses.

kristiemarie Posted 19 May 2017 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you!!

What kind of color shading would I use?  A darker purple?  These are not my choice of color for the flowers...the brides colors are purple and grey.  

Also, the edges are already pretty thin... I guess that means I need to go thinner.  Lol

i am using the easiest rose ever cutter and wonder if that's my problem.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 19 May 2017 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 17

Purple dust would look nice, down in the crevices of the flower. I always use the 3, 5, 7 petal way, and start opening the rose up with the 5 petals. You can use your fingers to manipulate the edges and give them a little bend. I slightly dry the last 7 cupped inside of spoons, and bend the edges over. They are nice roses, and I knew what they were right away! 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 19 May 2017 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 17

Quote by @kristiemarie on 57 minutes ago

Also, the edges are already pretty thin... I guess that means I need to go thinner.  Lol

When I was teaching, I told students to roll them very thin, and when they thought they were thin enough, roll them even thinner. The ball tool is your friend on these. wink

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2017 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 17

I found this pic on line.  It might help you seeing how to give movement to the petals.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2017 , 7:26pm
post #8 of 17

Would help if I attached the line wouldn't it?  LOL        http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2289434/gumpaste-rose

kristiemarie Posted 19 May 2017 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 17

Thank you!  The more I look, the more I think that I need to ditch the cutter and do these petal by petal.  Thank you so much!!! Back to the drawing board.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 May 2017 , 11:24pm
post #10 of 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtRGBaWgRCc&feature=youtu.be

Kara Andretta's tutorial is fantastic, simply fantastic.  take a look.  These were the first ones that I made while watching her video tutorial.

Silmarpinsar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silmarpinsar Posted 20 May 2017 , 1:02am
post #11 of 17

I was going to suggest the same tutorial as @MBalaska ‍ and her first roses look beautiful! It took me around three months to find the perfect gumpaste recipe and to "master" my roses (or until I was actually happy with them!). Another tutorial is the one by Angela Morrison. It's $75, but her roses are the prettiest thing!!!!!! Also, if you have the chance, getting a pasta machine is THE BEST THING! You could get the KitchenAid attachment if you can, or a manual one (which I used for this roses).

Good luck!

Silmarpinsar Posted 20 May 2017 , 1:03am
post #12 of 17

I was going to suggest the same tutorial as @MBalaska ‍ and her first roses look beautiful! It took me around three months to find the perfect gumpaste recipe and to "master" my roses (or until I was actually happy with them!). Another tutorial is the one by Angela Morrison. It's $75, but her roses are the prettiest thing!!!!!! Also, if you have the chance, getting a pasta machine is THE BEST THING! You could get the KitchenAid attachment if you can, or a manual one (which I used for this roses).

Good luck!

kristiemarie Posted 20 May 2017 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 17

Those kinds of roses are the kind I want.  I don't think I have time to really learn that for this cake.  BUT I am inclined to try.  I did add some petal dust to my current roses and I think they look better.  But I'm still not 100% sold on using them. 

Silmarpinsar Posted 20 May 2017 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 17

Try to make the center really small and closed. The look you should go for is that the center is hiding inside the bigger layers! I haven't really got that part completely covered, but if you think about it you can sort of plan the way your petals will be placed. It helps a lot to watch pictures of roses or to buy one and take it apart to understand how the layers of petals change! I don't know which cutter do you have, but the ones that are like a five petal flower can be pretty useful too! I think Wilton has a tutorial on using those :) those cutters were the ones I used for my first practice rose!

PixieTrix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PixieTrix Posted 26 May 2017 , 12:33am
post #15 of 17

Your roses are fine, just try shaping the edges of the petals., bend then back a bit to create some movement.  I have the easy rose cutters as well and find that you will get a more realistic look if you tweek the edges.  Dusting is also another must do.  Try making the centres a much deeper color and the outer petals a much lighter shade.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 26 May 2017 , 4:05am
post #16 of 17

The roses look fine to me. Looks like you did a great job with them to me.

Bakell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakell Posted 26 May 2017 , 4:29am
post #17 of 17

I think they look awesome! Have you tried the cutter that makes all the petals at once? I am still working on perfecting mine as well, but here is a quick explanation of what I mean: http://bakell.com/blog/the-easy-fondant-gumpaste-rose-makers/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%