Can I Mix Gel And Vodka And Use As A Diy Spray?

Decorating By cakeybakeydooda Updated 19 May 2017 , 11:36pm by crnewbold

cakeybakeydooda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeybakeydooda Posted 19 May 2017 , 1:25am
post #1 of 3

Hello,

First ever post so please be gentle! I am planning on making a snake cake for my sons upcoming birthday and will be covering it in white fondant. I have been unable to buy Wilton sprays and the airbrush I have seen locally is far too expensive so I was wondering if I could make my own. I was planning on making up 2-3 colours (brown/dark greens) and layering once each is dry but I really have no idea if that would work so would be grateful for any ideas of feedback. 

Many thanks!

2 replies
mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 19 May 2017 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 3

I just had this issue with needing neon colors and the biggest problem I ran into was that with some of the neon gels, it did not dissolve into the alcohol and I had clogging issues.  It seems like it was the darker colors that I had the issue with me.  For my cake, it was a tie dye splatter look so not to big of issue.  My alcohol was cold and that may have been a contributing factor.  I will try and add a picture when I get home.  

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 19 May 2017 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 3

I usually get clumps of gel when I try mixing with alcohol.  I saw a tutorial where they poured it through a strainer when they were ready to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%