Complete Baking Virgin And Need Help!

Baking By LUCY31 Updated 19 May 2017 , 6:47pm by kakeladi

LUCY31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LUCY31 Posted 18 May 2017 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I have made some very basic cookies and victoria sponge in the past, all turned out ok, kids enjoyed it! My daughter has asked for me to bake her a birthday cake and in a moment of madness I said 'YEAH, WHY NOT?!' Well,  I dont know what to do. I ordered her two silicone numbers a 1 and a 0 - now what do I do? I dont understand how to convert a sponge recipe for these tins? I was then going to frost and coat with M&Ms - is this as simple as it appears? Any tips, advice, gurus that can help?!

Thank you kind bakers.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2017 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 7

From what you say I take it you are not in the US so I cannot help ;(  I have never (knowingly) made a 'sponge cake".  As for icing and decorating w/M&Ms yes it is rather easy. 

Rosemary7391 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosemary7391 Posted 18 May 2017 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 7

I'm going to hazard a guess at UK kakeladi, since a Victoria sponge is a very common cake this side of the pond! It's just a standard eggs, butter, sugar, flour in equal proportions recipe (with a little milk if needed) - what do you call it in the US? Then it gets filled with jam and buttercream and icing powder dusted on the top.

OP, I'm not an expert by any means, but what sort of size are your number tins compared to your normal cake tin? I'd guess at wanting to have the batter come up to the same height in those tins as in your normal tin, but I don't know what changes to the cooking time/temperature might be needed - I usually just guess since my oven doesn't actually have temperature markings (previous owner very keen on cleaning!). But I'm well used to checking whether cakes are done. If all else fails, make sure you've time for a second go with your normal pan! And you can make a number 10 for it either with those number candles you can buy in the supermarket or with the M&Ms :) whatever you do, enjoy!

kakeladi Posted 18 May 2017 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7

Oh goodness :(  For the 2nd time I have a  long, long reply all typed only to get a 'server problem' error.  I just don't have the time to retype it all over again :(

Rosemary7391 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosemary7391 Posted 18 May 2017 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 7

I had that too :( I ended up copying my post before sending just in case it didn't go through.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 19 May 2017 , 12:44am
post #6 of 7

If you get the error message click the back arrow to go back to the page where you wrote the message, copy the post you wrote and then open the post again, you should be able to then paste your reply and post it.

I don't know why this seems to work but I have had to do it several times. Hopefully the issue is fixed soon because it is very annoying when you lose a long reply.

kakeladi Posted 19 May 2017 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 7

Oh I tried that.......but what I wrote is not there! And I forgot to copy it before hitting submit :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%