Gumpaste Roses

Sugar Work By kristiemarie Updated 19 May 2017 , 2:24am by MBalaska

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 18 May 2017 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 3

So I made my first (ok this one is the second) rose.  It looks ok.  I think it could be better. 

Is it because the petals are too thick still?  Is it wrapped to tightly? What is not right about it? 

Also, see the bottom?  How do you attach that to a cake?  Should I have some sort of wire or toothpick in the bottom to use to attach it?  Or do you just stick it on there?  I'm afraid it will look weird. 

Thabks for your critique.  I want to work on making it better. 

Gumpaste RosesGumpaste Roses

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2017 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 3

Yes, the petals could be thinner and wrapped tighter but it's not bad.   Give the petal edges movement by tweeking them between your thumb and 1st finger so they become a bit 'wavey'.  It thins them &  adds to the over-all more natural look of the flower.   As for how to place it on a cake - yes you could stick a toothpick in but I've found just piping an open circle (w/a tip 3) usually is enough.  Or you could put a generous dab of icing on the cake and push th rose into that.  When leaves are added it won't look weird at all :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 May 2017 , 2:24am
post #3 of 3

Gumpaste Roses

Japanese toothpicks in the bottom of the rose.  Clipped them onto a rack to dry. 

Gumpaste Roses

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%