Double Barrel Cakes

Decorating By CakeKiki Updated 16 May 2017 , 1:19am by aldonza

CakeKiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeKiki Posted 15 May 2017 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 9

I tried my first double barrel cake this past weekend.  It survived but after I added the buttercream decorations I was scared it would crash before the party.  

1.  Do torted layers hold up better than non-torted?  Mine were not torted.

2.  I did not put support between the bottom two cake layers and the top two.  I know that is a problem and will do that from now on.  Will the solve sagging and toppling?

3.  I wonder if my cake is not dense enough to hold up to this cake.  I used Super Moist cake mix.  Is that a problem?

4.  I see tutorials that show these beautiful 2 inch layers that people get.  Mind are coming out much shorter than that but if I put more batter in the pan the cake is not cooked in the middle before the edges dry out.

Any advice or help is so appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

8 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 15 May 2017 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 9

Torted vs not is a personal preference, I like to torte just because Ilike the cake to icing ratio, and it is visually more appealing to me lol when I do double barrel cakes, I always dowel the bottom layer to support the top, so that should solve the sagging problem. What temp are you baking your cakes? I fill my pans more than halfway, bake at 325. I end up with a very small bump at the top, but I cut it off and eat it. Your cake doesn't have to be dense enough, you just have to have the right support in order to support the weight. 

CakeKiki Posted 15 May 2017 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much!  Very helpful response!

ypierce82 Posted 15 May 2017 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 9

You're welcome! Hope it helps a little

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2017 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9

Sounds like you actually did a 2 tiered cake w/each one a dbl barrel.  If so, then definately dowel the lower tier.  The kind of cake used makes little to no difference - it's the support system that holds the top tiers up,  preventing sagging.  I have made 1,000s of Betty Crocker Super Moist cakes - some of them as large as 5 tiers w/o a problem :)

CakeKiki Posted 15 May 2017 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you!  I always get great reviews on the taste of the BC Super Moist so I'm glad I don't have to abandon it.

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 16 May 2017 , 1:08am
post #7 of 9

Quote by @ypierce82 on 7 hours ago

I end up with a very small bump at the top, but I cut it off and eat it.

@ypierce82 ‍ you are my spirit animal lol

ypierce82 Posted 16 May 2017 , 1:14am
post #8 of 9

Quality control is what I tell my husband laughing

aldonza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aldonza Posted 16 May 2017 , 1:19am
post #9 of 9

Right!!!!! You have to make sure the taste is just right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%