Flat "pancake" Cakes With Bubbles On Top. Please, Please Help!

Baking By Silmarpinsar Updated 27 May 2017 , 7:09pm by -K8memphis

Silmarpinsar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silmarpinsar Posted 12 May 2017 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 14

About two weeks ago I started my baking business online. I've had quite some orders and the last one I delivered was on Tuesday. A regular vanilla cake and cupcakes. No problem there. On Wednesday I was baking some cupcakes and the rest of the cakes I was going to need, but they came out flat and dense. I worried and thought I might have over mixed the batter. I tried again yesterday, less mixing time but almost the same result. And again today, quite quite desperate since the cakes are for tomorrow. This time I changed sugar brand, a different flour bag and new baking powder. Still, terrible flat cakes! One of them is usable, but I have NO idea what I might be doing wrong. They are not growing, they look bubbly and the chocolate one looks like a brownie. Any tips? This had never happened before! I've been using the recipes for over a year, and they are from Sweetapolitas bake book. The only new addition to my kitchen is a KitchenAid mixer, but on Monday and last week my cakes were still perfect!

13 replies
Silmarpinsar Posted 12 May 2017 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 14

I've cried my eyes out (of course) and ordered a cake mix since I need to deliver my cakes tomorrow morning. But I would really like to know if there is something I'm doing wrong or not doing at all! Three times in a row seems quite excessive to me :(

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 May 2017 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 14

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-cake-top-10-problems-fixed

check out #4 on this talking about flat cakes with bubbles in them.

Not sure if this is your problem. Hopefully others here may have more answers as to what is going on. Maybe you need to buy a small thermometer to put in your oven to see if when you have it preheated that it is the correct temperature. Maybe your oven is off. 

Silmarpinsar Posted 12 May 2017 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks! I did check this post yesterday before baking the second batch, and that's why I changed my baking powder. And I do have a thermometer inside my oven. I used to bake with a very old oven and the markings were no longer showing. When I got this one, I kept the thermometer. 

Quote by @remnant3333 on 11 minutes ago

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-cake-top-10-problems-fixed

check out #4 on this talking about flat cakes with bubbles in them.

Not sure if this is your problem. Hopefully others here may have more answers as to what is going on. Maybe you need to buy a small thermometer to put in your oven to see if when you have it preheated that it is the correct temperature. Maybe your oven is off. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2017 , 9:35am
post #5 of 14

how long did you mix the batter after you've added all the ingredients?

measure everything out into bowls, coffee filters, etc. before combining -- so you can double check your accuracy --

and as remnant's link suggests how long is your batter mixed and sitting before baking -- is it coming from the fridge? are you re-mixing it after it is fridged?

Silmarpinsar Posted 20 May 2017 , 12:57am
post #6 of 14

Well, I usually mix the batter for five minutes (which goes according to the instructions) and then I mix everything until just combined.... I've never had a problem with batter sitting for too long while baking (until now, I'll shorten the time for next time). And no, I've never remixed batter or placed it on the fridge :( 

Quote by @-K8memphis on 5 days ago

how long did you mix the batter after you've added all the ingredients?

measure everything out into bowls, coffee filters, etc. before combining -- so you can double check your accuracy --

and as remnant's link suggests how long is your batter mixed and sitting before baking -- is it coming from the fridge? are you re-mixing it after it is fridged?

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 21 May 2017 , 3:16am
post #7 of 14

Did you find anything that helped? I noticed your order was due today. Yikes! Hoping you figured it out!

brendajarmusz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendajarmusz Posted 21 May 2017 , 11:50am
post #8 of 14

Those are all great hints and ideas from K8 Mempis.  Agree 100%  hope it all worked out for you.  

Silmarpinsar Posted 22 May 2017 , 5:55am
post #9 of 14

My order was for last week hahaha but at the end the last batch managed to be somewhat okey. So I delivered an okay cake and they still loved it! (thankfully). I forgot to add the sugar on the last chocolate cake I made, so I ended up using a pre mixed thingy that they sell at some of the specialty stores over here... I didn't ask for feedback because I felt terrible doing so! And today I finally baked a new cake. It did grow a bit more than the last few times, but I feel like its still not as fluffy as it should be! I'm using a new baking powder and even bought a hand held mixer (in case my new kitchenaid mixer was my problem). By the way, cupcakes are perfectly fine... I just can't be sure about the cause just yet :( I'll be taking a baking break until I figure this out haha. Thanks for asking and for your good wishes @GIGGLEBOX2014 ‍ and @brendajarmusz ‍ <3

-K8memphis Posted 22 May 2017 , 10:05pm
post #10 of 14

this would not post the other day --

thank you, brenda

one more -- if i'm not using whipped egg whites in the batter -- after all the ingredients have been added i will usually mix the batter for two timed minutes -- not on the highest speed on a stand mixer -- like about speed  five  -- and i might whip up the eggs sugar and butter/oil on a faster speed -- but once some flour gets in there i don't go over speed four or five for cake --

best to you

Silmarpinsar Posted 23 May 2017 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you! My recipe uses a reverse creaming method. Next time I'll reduce the beating time and speed as suggested!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2017 , 8:12am
post #12 of 14

i'm a little confused on your beating time-- you said earlier you beat for five minutes then mix until just combined -- so my point was toward the last comment -- cookies, muffins, and biscuits you mix until just combined -- cakes you need to mix up for a couple minutes after everything is in the pot -- i thought the five minute thing was like for creaming -- but even still -- when you put those eggs in there with reverse creaming you totally need to  wind them out -- not just till combined -- 

so increase the beating time after everything has been added :)

best to you

Silmarpinsar Posted 26 May 2017 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 14

Well, I actually did the opposite (following your first advice!). Made two cakes this week and they turned out GREAT! I reduced the mixing time by two minutes or so and it worked (with a hand held mixer that I bought). It will take me some time to use the KitchenAid again and figure out the correct time for that one haha.

Thanks for the advice! It really helped! 

-K8memphis Posted 27 May 2017 , 7:09pm
post #14 of 14

well great -- whatever works, works! ha! yay!

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%