Need Help In Home Based Baking Business

Business By Misbah Updated 17 May 2017 , 9:27pm by Shanelly

Misbah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misbah Posted 11 May 2017 , 12:08am
post #1 of 16

Hi, I need some help in setting up my homebaking business in chArlotte Nc 

i will be starting a small home based baking business. What shall I state as sole proprietorship or form an LLC.

plus which company provides Insurance for home baking business that doesn't break the bank.

i tried calling FLiP they said they don't insure if u sell off the premises.

i need help please would really appreciate any help.

thank you in advance.

i didn't get anything online on how to start a baking business from home.

i called like million places got bits from here and there and finally got liscences and permits done.

but really confusing on the rest.

15 replies
Shanelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanelly Posted 13 May 2017 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 16

I filled as sole proprietorship because its only me and I wont have any employees.  At least not yet. I thought Flip insured food trucks, im not sure why they wouldn't cover you off the premises. That is who I plan on going through also.  Good luck!

Misbah Posted 13 May 2017 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you so much ! 

The only reason why I'm hesitating is for being a sole propertiership is that if God forbid something happens then me and my assets will be one. I always think for the worse and my husband too. 

But llc will differentiate bw my company and me. 

Flip said that if you sell your items from home like if ppl come to your premises and buy pick stuff they can't give insurance , however if I sell at hotels  or cafes then they Help me out.

its strange. Anywyaz one last question for registering your business name can you do that online as well and if not what's the procedure.

i really appreciate your help.

thank you.

Shanelly Posted 13 May 2017 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 16

Oh really that doesn't make any sense! I was looking for a insurance provider for home bakers and that is the one I found. I haven't called them yet.  

Can't you set up a SP so if you were to pass away the business would go to your hubby? I didn't think of that but assumed it would go to him. I would also check what tax requirements a LLC has vs SP.

I did register my business name online. I went to my city building to get the permit paperwork for my own business and they had a paper attached where to do that. Mine was a specific site for Utah. Also if you have to get a business license for your city you need to have your tax Id, permit from Cottage Foods, and proof of registered name. In order to submit the the paperwork for the business licence through the city. At least where I am. 

Misbah Posted 13 May 2017 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 16

Thank you ! Will do that.

Im in Charlotte Nc . 

You have been a great help. Plz keep me posted about insurance and SP vs LLC

by that I meant if for some reason God forbid if some one sues you then u and ur assets are one entity. But if you have an llc then ur business and ur assets aren't connected. 

Thank you 

Shanelly Posted 14 May 2017 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 16

You have been helpful also.  Thank you! I didn't realize as a SP my buisness and assets are the same, that's scary! I definitely have to look into that.  Ill keep you updated when I learn more. Im sending in my final paperwork tomorrow to get my buisness licence through my city.  I'll ask if they know how that works.  

Misbah Posted 14 May 2017 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 16

Appreciate it thanks !

Shanelly Posted 15 May 2017 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 16

So Flip does insure home bakers. Need Help In Home Based Baking Business

Misbah Posted 15 May 2017 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 16

It does only if you are selling your product at the farmers market or other place , other than ur residence. Or if u deliver . 

Did they say they will insure

ur business if u sell from home ?

Shanelly Posted 16 May 2017 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 16

No I guess they can't.  That's dumb, I don't see the difference if I cook it at my house and deliver it, or the customer comes and picks it up.  

Misbah Posted 16 May 2017 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 16

I know , if u come across any insurance company that insures small home baking businesses plz let me know I'll keep looking in the mean time .

Shanelly Posted 16 May 2017 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 16

So I have called a couple places and most of them won't insure my company.  I called a broker and he said he could cover me for $1,200 a year but its only up to 1m. He said in his opinion I don't need any insurance, the chance if  getting sued for cakes is pretty slim. He told me if it were him he would sell the cakes without insurance and see what my profit is like.  I would need to sell quite a bit to justify the price of insurance.  

Misbah Posted 16 May 2017 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 16

That's insane flip was doing it for $299 per year. That's a rip off.

Well it makes sense to see how things go and go with the flow. I will keep u informed if I find any reasonable insurance. 

Heritage is doing it but they want us to move everything with them and that's $800  per year extra for what we are paying for house insurance. 

Thanks ! 

Misbah Posted 16 May 2017 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 16

You won't believe if I found the insurance comoany

Hartford insurance does home baking business insurance and they quote me $270 / yr for 1 million .

i will discuss with my husband and will definitely go ahead with it tomorrow. I'm sure you know how it works you call them and they ask you few questions and then give u a quote. Simple.

Good luck will let u know once my husband does his research about Hartford insurances. Thanks 

Misbah Posted 16 May 2017 , 8:42pm
post #15 of 16

Oh and one more thing Hartford  said if you are under sole properties ship and change to llc and u r the same owner it's just a name change it's easy where as other insurances were fixed on it like flip! They will move the insurance to llc as well!

Shanelly Posted 17 May 2017 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 16

Oh yea that sounds awesome definitely let me know hoe it goes! Thank you for letting me know. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%