Need Help With Pricing

Business By karenamr95 Updated 15 May 2017 , 2:23pm by kristiemarie

karenamr95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenamr95 Posted 9 May 2017 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I like in rochester ny,

i am trying to figure out pricing since i had some people want cakes from me.

Can someone tell me what they hink about my pricing

I saw a place somewhat around that charges 10$ above grocery store pricing

but i was thnking thats way to low for somehing made from scratch.

here where m thoughts.

6" 15$

8"30$

10"45

12" 60

14" 75

1/4 35$

1/2   45$

full sheet 80$

I figure if they add fondant it could be anywhere from 20-60 upcharge depending on design? What does everyone think?

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2017 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 7

There is soooo much that goes into pricing it is hard to tell you.   From what I have gleaned reading the many, many posts on pricing your suggested prices are too low.  I suggest you try to do a search on this site to find some of the other pricing ?s - that will help you determin how to form your pricing.,

Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 10 May 2017 , 6:09am
post #3 of 7

Pricing doesn't just depend on your location, but also the cost of running your business and so many other factors! I can highly recommend Michelle Green for "The Business of Baking". She has an excellent resources like a blog, a book and online classes all about pricing and running a cake business. 

fondantslinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantslinger Posted 14 May 2017 , 3:07am
post #4 of 7

karenamr95

This is just my opinion okay....but your gonna be out of business before you start with those super low prices.

Grocery stores have frozen thawed out basic decorated cakes (ugh- frozen..such a cruel word!) 

If your gonna do custom decor scratch cakes are you doing basic dessert cakes, custom birthday or special occasion cakes or full blown wedding cakes?  

Add your ingrdiemts up, add labor,add other expenses like oven & refrigeration costs, cleanup, cake boards, boxes etc then add about another 10-20% on for miscellaneous in case you forgot something.

This will give you an idea of what it's costing you to make a cake. Then look at area bakeries see whatthey charge & go from there. Wedding cakes charge by slice times how many guests.  ($5.00/slice X 100 guests) Then add for all extended detail work...flowers, lace etc. Charge $.50-$1.00 more per slice if fondant if not butter cream. But see what your locale can handle & go from there. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2017 , 11:09am
post #5 of 7

your prices range from are less than $2 a serving to less than $1 per slice -- way too low -- 

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 May 2017 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 7

I'd charge like this:

COst of supplies + (number of hours to bake and deco x your cost per hour)

Your cost per hour can be whatever you set it.  I wouldn't ever go below $10 and many people are much higher than that, depending on where you live.  

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 15 May 2017 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 7

There used to be a pricing matrix floating around here....I can't remember what the name of it was or who made it but I downloaded it, made it my own and use it.  It's AMAZING and very detailed.

Maybe try searching for it?  Or does anyone here know what I"m talking about??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%