Cake Dummy

Decorating By tripleE Updated 10 May 2017 , 6:44am by me_me1

tripleE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleE Posted 9 May 2017 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 7

Okay--3 tier wedding cake. Bottom 12" is a dummy. Middle 9" and top 6" will be white cake filled only with buttercream. Will be placed on a cake drum and eventually transported by the bride's friend (only slightly dabbles in cakery). Will the weight be unbalanced, making it difficult to carry? Should I insert some kind of extra weight into the bottom styrofoam? 

6 replies
Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 9 May 2017 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

I've transported these types of cakes before. How high are your tiers - 4"?  Even though the center of mass is higher up, you should be fine if you:

- Glue the tiers together really well with stiff royal icing when you stack

- Chill the cake for at least 12 hours before transporting

- Have the carrier place it ONLY in the boot of the car

- Instruct anyone handling the cake very clearly, to only carry it by the bottom

Please don't hold me liable though ;) If you are not sure, you can always thread all tiers (including the dummy, it's tough ) through a center dowel.

Good luck!

tripleE Posted 9 May 2017 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, Minh Cakes!  Definitely going to do a center dowel through all three layers.  I was just wondering if the balance of weight, with the bottom tier being lighter styrofoam, would make it tricky to carry.  (yes, the tiers will be 4") 

Don't worry--I shall not hold you liable!  Ha! Ha!  :)

Again, thanks!

Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 9 May 2017 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 7

It's a liiiittle tricky to carry but it's ok. Last week I just sent six students home with the same construction (mass was even higher up, since the tiers were 4"-6" on an 8" dummy). 

No center dowel and they all reported having made it home safely - some by public transport!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2017 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 7

......... just wondering if the balance of weight, with the bottom tier being lighter styrofoam, would make it tricky to carry.......

No the weight of the upper ties should hold that bottom tier in place - especially if you use a center dowel through it into the drum.   I have even transported such an arrangement w/o a center dowel many miles.   It depends a lot on the driver - tell them to be drive like a "Little old lady" :)  No fast stops, turns or such.....try to advoid any potholes that sort of thing.   And as was suggested, chill the cake and be sure it travels on a *flat* surface - in the trunk is best unless it is very hot/humid - then it should go inside the car that has been Air condiditoned/cooled for some time before transporting. 

tripleE Posted 9 May 2017 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much, Minh Cakes and kakeladi!  :)

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 10 May 2017 , 6:44am
post #7 of 7

Haha, I like the 'drive like a little old lady' bit...  I always tell my clients to pretend they are Morgan Freeman in Driving Miss Daisy when transporting their cakes home!  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%