Standard Size Cupcakes Coming Out Too Small

Baking By Grammy_Cakes08 Updated 12 May 2017 , 5:56pm by Grammy_Cakes08

Grammy_Cakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 9 May 2017 , 10:51am
post #1 of 14

i'm trying to bake standard size cupcakes but they come out soooo small. The cupcake liners I buy are 2" base and 1.5 sides. I fill the liners half way full, if I fill it anymore it will give it weird wide looking top that looks kind of on the flat side. Can someone please tell what I need to do to get a larger nicely domed top cupcake? Im gonna be making a 100 of them for my granddaughters graduation coming up, and we'd like to display it on a beautiful stand that we just bought. 

13 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 May 2017 , 11:57am
post #2 of 14

I fill my liners 2/3rds of the way full, start my oven at 400 and bake for 5 minutes, then drop the temp down to 350 and finish baking. I get a perfectly domed top and concaved sides. 

Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 9 May 2017 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 14

The shape of the cupcake depends on the recipe, but also factors such as temperature of ingredients, mixing method, quality & quantity of baking powder, and oven temperature. If your cupcakes aren't rising, try:

- Mixing ingredients at room temp

- Not overmixing your ingredients

- Check if your baking powder is not past expiry date

- Check if your oven is hot enough (an oven thermometer is helpful)

- Try another recipe.

Good luck! :)

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 9 May 2017 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 14

This is my recipe 

Strawberry Cupcakes 

Betty Crocker strawberry cake mix
Strawberry instant pudding (small box)
1/4 strawberry yogurt 
Half cup milk 
3/4 cup  oil 

I bake at 350 for 18 mins 

I also wanted to know where you guys purchase your cupcake liners from?
thank you all for your help!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2017 , 1:54am
post #5 of 14

The key is the higher temperature to start. That way the sides "set" and then the baking/ rising pushes it upwards to make a "dome".

How many liners do you want to buy? If you are only looking for a hundred, not enough for a bulk buy really to warrant "shopping"

johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2017 , 1:55am
post #6 of 14

PS. Also know may have complained about the smaller boxes and reformulated ingredients affecting their cakes. You could also be having an issue with that.

Test batches required!

johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2017 , 1:56am
post #7 of 14

No eggs in recipe?

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 10 May 2017 , 3:42am
post #8 of 14

Oops I forgot to put 4 eggs lol. Thank you that makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking about buying 2-300 liners. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2017 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 14

That is a LOT of oil :(   I see no reason for any, much less that much!   I would increase the yogurt to at least 1/2 cup - maybe even 2/3Cup.   And where did you find strawberry*pudding*?   I've never seen that........jello yes, but not pudding.

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 10 May 2017 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 14

Hi @kakeladi ‍so you think I should just omit the oil completely? I bought strawberry pudding mix (jello brand) here at our Walmart. Btw I bought jumbo size liners (2 1/4 base 1 7/8 height) so that I'll hopefully get bigger cupcakes. Thanks for getting back to me. Btw I use your wasc recipe all the time. It's my family's fave!:)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2017 , 10:47pm
post #11 of 14

Yes, the oil can be omitted.  Many recipes suggest replacing it w/fruit puree such as applesauce but I have made many, many cakes w/o either the oil or adding applesauce.  Interesting that strawberry pudding is out there on the market - never have seen it around my parts (CA).

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 11 May 2017 , 12:14am
post #12 of 14

Yeah but unfortunately I haven't seen it in my stores for awhile. I guess it's not really selling. So I've been using the the strawberry cupcake flavor. My hubby said he could taste a difference though, and likes the strawberry creme flavor better. Yes I just took a trip to cali a few months ago and looked at a lot of the Walmarts and they didn't have! Target also...

johnson6ofus Posted 12 May 2017 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 14

walmart.com has strawberry pudding for 98 cents.

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 12 May 2017 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 14

They don't ship to my location though:( 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%