Butter Vs Oil Cakes

Baking By rdjr Updated 10 May 2017 , 6:12am by Minh Cakes

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 8 May 2017 , 4:56am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone else prefer the texture of oil cakes vs butter cakes..? Most of the cake recipes I've tried butter as the fat (creaming method) end up feeling either grainy/coarse when eating or too fluffy and a tad dry. Could overmixing cause butter cakes to feel grainy/coarse? Would cake flour help? TIA!

3 replies
kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 8 May 2017 , 11:59am
post #2 of 4

hello rdjr,

by my expirience and taste I like butter cakes when they are fresh. But when they come out of cooler, somehow butter makes cakes dry at first bite. Yes, it is melting in mouth, but first impresion is that cake is dry.

I ussualy use oil as substitute for butter. But if you do that , make sure to take 20% oil less then butter amount listed in a recipe.

I do this way after I read this blog: http://thecakeblog.com/2012/05/is-butter-better.html 

Looking forward to hear others oppinions and expirience butter vs oil.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 May 2017 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 4

Most oil cake recipes result in a tender texture even when served cold. And since there's no creaming of fat with sugar, these can easily be mixed by hand. Two good reasons for making oil-based cakes. 

Minh Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minh Cakes Posted 10 May 2017 , 6:12am
post #4 of 4

I agree with the posters above! Butter is great for taste, but oil has a nicer mouthfeel. I try to use recipes that contain both - you get the best of both worlds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%