Kitchen Cakes- Yes Or No?

Business By OHaresTstyTrts Updated 7 Jun 2017 , 7:18pm by OHaresTstyTrts

OHaresTstyTrts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 1 May 2017 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have been toying with the idea of adding "kitchen cakes" to my menu but only for orders over 150 or 200 slices. I'm not sure if I want to do it. If I did, I'm not even sure what I would charge for them. I was always in the camp that "cake is cake" and I don't charge any different for a wedding cake versus a kids cake. I don't think people in this area can afford massive wedding cakes and it might help with the people that have large weddings. One quote I gave recently, the cake was half the price of the venues starting wedding packages. I am in the same price range as other bakers in the metro areas around us. What have other people done? Yes or no to kitchen cakes? What would you charge if you were to do them. For reference, I charge $3.50/ps for buttercream and $4.50/ps for fondant starting. The detail and difficulty will determine any added costs.

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 May 2017 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 5

I haven't been in business for many yrs now but back when I was pricing was so different from what is suggested now.  I charged about $20-25 for a 12x16x2 (1/2 sheet) kitchen cake.  It was split, filled, iced w/b'cream and bordered.  No decorations.  No, it didn't 'match' the main/wedding cake but it was the same, wonderful tasting cake:)  I have no idea how it went over w/people at the event - did they feel slighted that it was different?  Was that even noticed?  Who knows. 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 2 May 2017 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

If the purpose of the kitchen cake is to provide extra servings when the main cake cannot supply them, then I have no problem.  They are baked, filled and iced just like the main cake without any extensive decorations (unless it will actually be displayed at the reception).  I usually charge a little less if I don't do so much decorating.

If, however, the purpose of the kitchen cake is to buy a smaller main cake and then try to save money by offering an inferior kitchen cake (in terms of the flavors, fillings, etc.), then it's a no.

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 5

No, I was thinking of offering if it's a large wedding. It seems as though I have brides that want to feed 250-300 people but only want a 3 tiered cake or can't afford a decorated cake of that magnitude. I figured somewhere after the 200 slices mark I may suggest it if they have a tight budget. I wasn't planning on advertising it though. 

OHaresTstyTrts Posted 7 Jun 2017 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 5

No, I was thinking of offering if it's a large wedding. It seems as though I have brides that want to feed 250-300 people but only want a 3 tiered cake or can't afford a decorated cake of that magnitude. I figured somewhere after the 200 slices mark I may suggest it if they have a tight budget. I wasn't planning on advertising it though. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%