Dissatisfied Bride

Business By tomsmom245 Updated 30 Apr 2017 , 12:15pm by -K8memphis

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 29 Apr 2017 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 7

I did a wedding last weekend that was a 4 tier 6,8,10,12.   During transport my delivery driver was in a minor accident.  The cake was leaning so he brought it back to the store and I re-built it using two dummies for the bottom, as they were not stable enough to re-stack it. The bottom tiers were still intact, just dented and ugly but still edible.  The cake looked exactly as it should.

The driver took the cake to the venue and explained what happened to the mother of the bride, who was there for set-up.  She didn't seem to think it was a big deal at the time.

Today, the bride called the store and left a message for me.  She said the anniversary cake (we give one for free in a box separate from the cake) was damaged and they couldn't freeze it.  My driver checked the cake when he dropped it off and it was fine, it's just a smoothed iced 6" cake with no border or any decor on it.  I saw it when it left the store the 2nd time and it wasn't damaged at all in the accident.

The bride also said the caterer said that they were unable to cut the cake because it was too damaged.  I saw the cake and I know for a fact that it was still intact.  She went on to say that the other two tiers were flavors that she didn't order, (which is not true as they are written on her contract) so they threw them away.  I do not believe that for a second.  No one throws cake away just because it's not the flavor they ordered, especially when it's vanilla and chocolate cake, not some oddball flavor.

I am asking for advice on how to handle the phone call when I call her back.  Our store policy is that if you are unhappy with your cake you can bring it back to the store for a refund, but it must be returned to the store intact.   We have never had to give a refund and I have never had anything like this happen before so I don't know how to proceed.   I feel at fault that the cake was damaged in the accident but I fixed it and it looked exactly how she wanted it to and it was certainly still serviceable.  What sort of compensation do I offer?  I really don't want to deal with a facebook smear campaign, if I can help it.

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2017 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 7

Most of the time when something like this happens many of us state that any unused/unservable cake must be returned for a refund.   To me they are definately seeking a big refund :(  (Re: the whrong flavors thrown out??) so you have to way if giving a almost full refund (probably like 50%) is worth not dealing w/a smear campaign.   Even then there is no guaranty  they won't still bad mouth you.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 Apr 2017 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 7

The cake was accepted at delivery.  What they did to it, or with it, after that is their choice and their problem.  They didn't bring it back intact, so they violated store policy. 

They don't deserve any refund, really.  I'd offer them another small anniversary cake to freeze and a small percentage off another cake ordered over the next 12 months--at most.  Take it or leave it.  No big bucks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2017 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 7

.......  Our store policy is that if you are unhappy with your cake you can bring it back to the store for a refund, but it must be returned to the store intact.................

Ooopps missed this statement.   As maybenot said, they did not follow store policy (were they informed of that?) and that makes my suggestion of a rather large refund nul and void.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Apr 2017 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 7

I know it's hard to refund money. But for anyone running a business, let's talk about and remember the importance of customer service... 

The cake was damaged in an accident. Thankfully, the customer eventually received a cake that looked fine. But it was not the edible cake she had ordered, given that the two largest tiers were replaced with dummies. That alone should necessitate a business to offer heartfelt apologies and a sizable discount for the inconvenience. (It was certainly an inconvenience on her most important wedding day.) I'm sorry the bride did not help her credibility by adding other complaints, but you are clearly aware of the delivery problems.  

Let's not lose sight of reality. Of course the cake was accepted. There was a wedding that day and it's expected to have a cake. Cake was central to the event. Yes, it's always important to have a contract. It's also necessary to look at each sale and the surrounding circumstances/issues. There is no place in these CC conversations/comments, to point to the contract and use it as support in disregarding the customer's reality. I'm sorry for your having to go through this; it's one of the more difficult parts of being a business owner. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2017 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 7

first of all giant kudos to you for being sucha stand up caker to make this happen on schedule as planned for this ungrateful bride -- talk about going the extra mile -- you are wonderful!

i agree with kakeladi & maybenot --

you need to decide if you want to stand your ground -- you have all the right pieces in place in order to be firm and not give out anything -- there's no reason to refund -- they should be glad they didn't get an additional charge right? you certainly put in extra work -- 

it really sounds like they are trying to make out over the unfortunate accident -- you put humpty back together and still they are grabbing --

hey tell them you'll swap out the six inch cake and what day do they want to bring it in?  -- the cool thing about fb is you can get your message out there first -- i hope you have pictures? at least get your story out --

say how that wedding cakes have a twofold purpose, focal point for the reception, and dessert -- how that you as a seasoned professional saved the day despite the circumstances & explain all the hoops you jumped through to make this a wonderful success including the feeling down deep in the pit of your stomach when you got the news

-- that the bride's cake was the spot on look she wanted -- and all of the servings were provided as per the contract and that's why wedding cakes command a premium price for premium service and outstanding quality -- that you will even swap out the FREE 6" anniversary cake for another FREE cake --

write it like a little news story kwim -- "breaking news"...

also double check with the caterer and the dj and whosoever else might have been there, the venue peeps and get their perspective --

and they were there on time because you spoke to mob during set up -- no refund -- if they were late as in arriving after the reception started -- yes refund something -- but there is no loss to the bride -- everyone got a jolt of anxiety because there was an accident but that's not refundable because you absorbed all the calamity --

best to you and please update -- so curious

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2017 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 7

the only thing i can think of is if the cakes internally were crumbing from shock/impact of the accident --

but it sounds like the bride responded to the news of the damaged cake and wrote it off without another thought and didn't realize what she really had after all --  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%