Help With The Black And Gold Cake

Decorating By Amawi Updated 26 Apr 2017 , 5:41pm by kakeladi

Amawi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amawi Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I'm really stuck with what technique to use to create this great looking black and gold cake for a wedding and was wondering if you guys have any ideas.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

The way I see it the black is airbrushed on then some gold and finally some gold flakes - not that easy :(

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 6

White icing [fondant or smoothed buttercream], airbrushed with edible black and then edible gold airbrush paint, gold sanding sugar applied to lightly dampened surface.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 6

i think i would apply the sanding sugar by throwing -- keep the very bottom of the black tier covered so it stays clean -- because once you touch the airbrushed surface you're toast -- it'll mar -- you might wanna practice this to get it right -- 

or you could tilt the tiers to get it to adhere --

and you could always do an ombre with the icings to get you there --

i think it would be all of these techniques -- 

and you can color the sanding sugar so it all coordinates too using a powder --

if i was trying for that -- i would use buttercream made with black cocoa for the dark part -- i would ice the bottom tier gold or pale yellow -- pipe on top of that with the black and spatula it up smoothy smooth -- using a small spatula -- the top tier i would ice white and pipe the gold and spatula it up the sides -- pipe the gold and black thinly --

if using crusting buttercream you can mist the sides with water while you smooth and you can apply the sugar to that -- give it a squirt of the gold air brush stuff and you're golden... hahahahahaha

i would try it that way first and see what i could come up with -- you learn so much as you go through an adventure like this --

and i can't remember airbrushing sugar crystals so you gotta make sure they don't melt on you -- and if you use smbc you won't use the water -- or you could use fondant but i'm more a buttercream-er -- and i think chocolate icing is infinitely better than black fondant --

anyway -- some thoughts for you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

and of course i meant try this well in advance of the date on a proctice cake so you can test various methods and come up with the best one --

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 6

I like k8s suggestion........as for covering airbrushed surface, if I remember right, once it dries well (like overnight) then there should be little if any problems w/it......but it's been yrs since I've airbrushed anything so I might be wrong.........yeah, I do make mistakes sometimes LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%