Buttercream/frosting Queries

Decorating By haylieclaire Updated 25 Apr 2017 , 12:02pm by A-CupOfTee

haylieclaire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haylieclaire Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and have a few queries regarding buttercream/frosting that I would be grateful if you could give me some advice on.

I am not a professional cake maker (I'm an accountant!) but I've offered to make my niece's cake for her birthday in a moment of madness to help my sister keep costs of the party down. It's a shimmer & Shine theme.

I plan to do a rosette cake for the bottom tier and a fondant covered top tier, I practised the rosette cake for a colleague's birthday (I will try and attach pics of the cake - if not I will set it as my profile pic) and it came out really well however the buttercream was a bit too sweet.

I used a youtube recipe of 1 part unsalted butter to 2 parts powdered sugar + a few tbsp milk + vanilla extract, and it piped really well it was just too sweet.

So now I'm panicking a bit because I was going to use that buttercream recipe on my niece's cake for the rosettes and also for under the fondant.

Please can you let me know of any alternative frostings that would pipe well for the rosettes and also for under the fondant that aren't intensly sweetButtercream/frosting Queries? (They don't have to be the same I could make two types if it's more appropriate to use different frostings).

Thanks in advance.

Haylie 

7 replies
A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 8

We're not big icing eaters in my family (no matter what icing it is), so I decided to experiment to see what will work that we all like. And I've found that lemon extract does the job. (My husband hates anything with lemon, but he doesn't know, because you can't taste it.) I use the same recipe as you (minus the milk) Sometimes I add about 2 drops of lemon extract. Sometimes depending on the cake, I add  8oz cream cheese, 1/2 - 1tsp of lemon extract, and 2 more cups of powdered sugar (of course that now means you have a little more buttercream lol) 

haylieclaire Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 8

Hi 

Thanks for your reply.

So does the lemon/cream cheese take away the sweetness? 

Would that buttercream still pipe well and also go well under fondant?

Sorry for the questions I'm new at this!

Thanks

Haylie

sm0kinkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sm0kinkitchen Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 8

Another vote for adding lemon. It magically cuts the sweetness without tasting like lemon. I've done it several times (several different ways... Extract, juice, a little more, a little less) and it piped beautifully and held up well... 

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 8

I do 2 cups of salted butter 6 cups icing sugar no milk and vanilla to taste not nearly as sweet

A-CupOfTee Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 8

Yes! It cuts the sweetness, I've used it under fondant with no problems, and it pipes just as beautiful.

haylieclaire Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 6:21am
post #7 of 8

Brilliant thank you for your replies I will try the lemon

A-CupOfTee Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 8

No problem! Good luck and  let us know how it works out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%