Unicorn Pull Apart Cake

Baking By Love2bake1 Updated 23 Apr 2017 , 5:37pm by ypierce82

Love2bake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2bake1 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I have to make this unicorn pull apart cake for a birthday party. Any suggestions on how to make the hair? Any help is appreciated, thank you! Unicorn Pull Apart Cake

4 replies
TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 5

Hi... Have you ever tried the technique of using multiple icing colors in one bag with one icing tip? ... Some will probably say it wastes disposable bags, but it will give you this effect.

Here's how I would do it:

1. I would put different color icings in individual bags. Not too much, though, because you will be sliding all of them into one icing bag with the tip.

2. Prepare the main icing bag with the tip of your choice.

3. Snip the ends of the colored icing bags and carefully slide them into the main icing bag.

4. Pipe your hair. Turn the bag as you wish to get different colors to the forefront.

Please note that I have only done this with 2 colors for my niece's tie-die teal-pink cupcakes.

I hope this helps. And I hope others post here with other ideas for you to choose from.

Oh! You could also make individual bags of icing, with the tips, and just pipe the colors here and there until you have the overall effect you are looking for.

Best wishes with this special cake!!!

Love2bake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2bake1 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much! That does help! I was debating using gel icing versus buttercream, but it does seem that the buttercream is the better way to go! 

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 5

Oh!.. With regards to my earlier suggestion, you don't have to put all of the different colors together in one bag. It might be easier to do just 2 or maybe 3 colors in one bag. Or, as mentioned, do one color at a time.

I like working with gels, too, but in my humble opinion (just my thoughts), I think the buttercream will work out better for this project. But of course that's just me, it's totally up to you and I'm sure whatever you decide will be just wonderful!

Have fun!!!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 23 Apr 2017 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 5

There was a video tutorial of this exact cake. I'll see if I can find it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%