Help! Smbc Fell Apart After Cocoa Powder Was Added - What To Do?

Baking By tsal Updated 25 Apr 2017 , 10:51pm by MBalaska

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I have a cake due at 5pm and I whipped up a double batch of SMBC. It was all fine until I added the cocoa powder (1/2 cup for a double batch) and it turned into soup. I have never had a problem like this before.

What should I do?

5 replies
508Desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
508Desserts Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 6:47am
post #2 of 6

Hi Tsal. I'm not sure why that happened but the way I do SMBC is by adding melted chocolate (room temperature) to the mix after incorporating my cubed butter. I whip it good and it's stable, glossy, and chocolate delicious :)Help! Smbc Fell Apart After Cocoa Powder Was Added - What To Do?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Apr 2017 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 6

to add cocoa powder to any of my buttercream recipes I first pour boiling water into the cocoa powder to make a medium paste consistency.  Let cool to room temperature then add to the finished buttercream.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 6

Quote by @MBalaska on 12 hours ago

to add cocoa powder to any of my buttercream recipes I first pour boiling water into the cocoa powder to make a medium paste consistency.  Let cool to room temperature then add to the finished buttercream.

Interesting! Is this to make it smoother or because of stability issues?

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 25 Apr 2017 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

Hi... To follow up MBalaska's comment.... I was going to ask you if you added any water to the cocoa. It is my understanding that it is necessary because of stability issues. I believe it is recommended to use either melted chocolate or to mix cocoa with some water.

Wishing you the best!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%