Need Help With Gluten Free Cupcakes.. Also, Weird Cracking On Top??

Baking By CharlotteKelly Updated 22 Apr 2017 , 4:20am by bubs1stbirthday

CharlotteKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharlotteKelly Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've come on here with a question, but recently I have been trying to tackle making gluten free cupcakes for a customer (something that seems to me to be a common regret among home bakers). I don't bake gluten free so I need some guidance! :)

I've tried using store bought GF flours. I didn't like Krusteaz or Trader Joes, and I just baked up some with King Arthur Flour's GF Measure-for-Measure flour. I have the highest hopes for this flour, the cupcakes just came out of the oven. However, the cupcakes look really smooth with some large, deep (also smooth??) cracks on top. I have yet to break one open and try it, I will let you know how they taste once I do. 

America's Test Kitchen said that letting gluten free batters sit for 30 minutes before baking can help the starches and flours to absorb moisture and be less gritty/grainy, so I did that with this batch. I think I overfilled the liners a tad, but that's OK. 

I'd love all to hear what you guys use to create gluten free cupcakes that actually taste good (preferably brands of store-bought flours) and also why you think my cupcakes look like this. Thank you so much in advance!

4 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

I've had the best luck with Authentic Foods flours. I just made a gf chocolate cake yesterday and it looked just like regular cake, and the leftover batter baked up nicely in cupcakes.  Many people at work tried it and loved it. I used King Arthur's before, but the cake had a sunken look to it, and wasn't as sturdy. And unfortunately, Cup 4 Cup seems gummy, might be the dry milk in it, who knows. 

I know Amazon sells it, but haven't checked local stores. 

CharlotteKelly Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much!

CharlotteKelly Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 5

Just wanted to add on that the cupcakes came out tasting very good and quite "normal" despite looking a little off on top. Frosting will cover it up just fine :)

I also went on to use King Arthur GF flour to make chocolate cupcakes and I think they turned out great! 

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 4:20am
post #5 of 5

My Grandma was recently diagnosed as Gluten intolerant so I have been working on just this issue, honestly for a plain cake or cupcake I have found that the packet mixes work best (usually I wouldn't touch them).

For biscuits/pastries/slice bases etc I am in Aus and have found the woolworths brand to be the best in both Plain and S.R Flours. I also had good success with it in a carrot cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%