Small Cake Sunk In The Middle?

Baking By imartsy Updated 21 Apr 2017 , 2:49pm by SandraSmiley

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:33am
post #1 of 3

Hi all. I used to be a very active member but haven't been on in awhile. I was making a 6 inch cake tonight (duncan  hines mix, durable cake recipe). The cake looked brown on top and like it was pulling away from the sides. I tested with a toothpick, it came out clean. But, when I dumped it out of the pan 10 minutes later, one of the layers sunk in the middle. The other did not, but when I flipped it back over about 20 minutes later, I noticed it wasn't done in the middle either. Any ideas? I bought new cake mix - I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I did read that I could have over-beaten the batter, but I don't think that's what happened If anything, it may have been for 2 min, 30 seconds - so not very long. I did check it after 20 minutes of baking and the cakes wobbled as I moved the oven rack, so I quickly put them back in for more time. I was using a cake mix and it wasn't expired. I wouldn't normally put a flower nail or anything in for a small cake. I may have had too much batter in the pans, but I'm not sure.

Would using whole eggs instead of egg whites be better?

Thanks!!

2 replies
imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 3

I guess this particular cake-sinking hasn't happened to anyone else?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 3

I have it happen occasionally and I have not been able to determine exactly why, unless it is because certain recipes do not like the baking strips.  Whole eggs vs egg whites should not make a difference since both solidify when cooked.  I am inclined just to bake a few minutes longer, using my finger tips to determine doneness instead of a cake tester.  They seem to be more accurate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%