Cake Dummy Pricing

Business By pamcakesandcompany Updated 27 Apr 2017 , 8:05pm by kakeladi

pamcakesandcompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamcakesandcompany Posted 21 Apr 2017 , 12:55am
post #1 of 13

Hi

Can any one help me with dummy cake prices??

Do they melt or need extra care or is it the same as cakes??

Thanks for any info 

Pam

12 replies
cakesbytamara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbytamara Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 8:54am
post #2 of 13

From what I've researched and looked on Amazon, fake cake teirs come out costing about the same as real cake so you would charge usual price, maybe 20% less if you get a good deal. 

pamcakesandcompany Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 13

interesting

Thanks

Pam

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 13

Fake tiers covered in fondant dry hard, really hard, in a day or so. The fondant won't melt unless a heat source is on it,  eg. heat lamp, hot sun. Best to keep it in shade or a cool room on display. Also the fondant can discolor or fade if left in a sunny area for too long - it's happened to me !

They are much lighter than real cake so transporting them can be a little tricky due to the possibility of them sliding in the vehicle or even falling over if something heavy is on top and you turn a corner. I used double sided tape sometimes or a flower nail taped upside down on the bottom of a box to secure the cake. 

pamcakesandcompany Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 13

Hi 

Thank you for  your reply.

I wanted to do a series to showcase some of my designs

I heard pink and purple fondant fades.

If I keep in a shaded how long do you think it will stay in tacked?

Also Have you run into any colors fading more that others?

Do you know anyone that has butter creamed a dummy for display??

Great suggestion on securing the cake down.

Have you ever used a dummy as part of your cake?

If so any tips on doing so??

Thanks

Pam

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 13

...........I heard pink and purple fondant fades.   If I keep in a shaded how long do you think it will stay in tacked?...........      Even in shaded place it will fade over several weeks time:(  If I remember right, blue can fade also.  For dummy cakes one can use art paints.......less chance of fading.  

.........Have you ever used a dummy as part of your cake?   If so any tips on doing so??..

Sure:)   In my album on this site I have several.....tips?  As was said, secure the dummy when working on it.   I have done that by making a wooden board with nails coming up from the bottom to spear the foam on.  You might also use a piece of that rubber non-skid material under the board.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 26 Apr 2017 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 13

I've done many display cakes using dummies covered in fondant. Pink and purple definitely do fade but purple is much more noticeable than pink. If you can avoid purple, do it. It also photographs blue sometimes...very annoying. 

I've had cakes stay intact for 3-4 years in a cool dry place. 

I haven't seen buttercream for display purposes. I have seen people use royal icing like a buttercream. 

I made a few cakes where dummies replaced a tier or two and the remaining tiers were real cake. You have to make sure you get clean edges on the real cake because dummies are super clean so the difference will be noticeable. I would rough out the edges of the dummy before putting on fondant. You do this by rolling the edge of the dummy on a hard surface, just to dull the sharp edges. 

pamcakesandcompany Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 12:21am
post #8 of 13

Many thanks that is great advise.

What do you charge for dummy cakes?

I know it depends on where you live.

I know someone posted the charge full price

That does not seem fair. Any thoughts?

Best,

Pam

pamcakesandcompany Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 12:32am
post #9 of 13

Do some fondant brands fade more than others?

thanks

pam

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 13

It doesn't seem fair to charge full price for a dummy cake? The $ is in the work, and it takes the same amount of time to decorate a fake cake as it does a real cake. Add blue to the list of colors that fade. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 13

The cheapest, easiest part of caking is the baking.  The price difference between actual cake and a dummy is a few dollars and a little bit of time (seriously, you don't save much time at all by not baking).  Not enough for a discount from me.  Might as well order your cake and eat it, too.

pamcakesandcompany Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 13

You are so right.

Really does not save time using a real cake.

I guess they are for the wow factor.

Pam

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2017 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 13

I did many b'cream display cakes:)  Some of them are in my album.   http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2158946/fall-leaves-wedding                                            http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1374005/lettice-fans                                                                    http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/2104009/lambeth-practice-cake                                       http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1333232/lilies-on-hearts                                                                           I also used something like plaster.......was sold as 'fake cake icing' or something like that ..... can't remember what it was called for sure.   It was harder to use as the consistency was thick and the smell was a bit off-putting......... but you could use acrilic(sp??) paints so it did not fade.  I only sold one - a small 6 or 8" round to a lady who insisted on one......all the other cakes were displays for my shop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%