Fresh Fruit/ Strawberry Filling

Decorating By johnbailey64 Updated 20 Apr 2017 , 9:30pm by -K8memphis

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 12

I don't post often, but I had a cake order this week for a fresh fruit/non chocolate anniversary cake.  I realize Chantilly would have been perfect, but I didn't have time to do a Chantilly and just chose a french vanilla cake with a cream cheese buttercream icing.

I searched for advise on fresh fruit filling, I didn't find but a couple of posts so I thought I'd share what I learned from this cake.

I used mostly strawberries for the filling, mixed with blueberries and a few other berries. I put a layer of icing under and over the filling as well as using a dam.  I did have one 'leak' but every cake has a back, right? !Fresh Fruit/ Strawberry Filling

I used a lot of strawberries for the filling.  (see attached picture) I started with a cake a bit dryer that usual, thinking the berries would weep into the cake, and didn't tort for the same reason.  I made the cake less than 24 hours in advance, stored it in the fridge with out the top decorative fruit until just before it was placed on the table.  I did 'frost' some of the decorative fruit with egg white wash and sugar/sugar crystals, that I had let dry overnight. 

When the cake was cut, there were hardly any strawberries to be found! I was disappointed that my cake wasn't bursting with fresh berry filling!  They just dehydrated and shriveled up!  It was almost like there were NO strawberries in there. Crazy!

Also the berries did not weep into the cake so it was dryer than usual for me. It was still good, but just not as good as it could have been! 

What I learned from this is next time, I would tort the layers and put the strawberries in between, still icing over and under with a dam.  I would REALLY use a lot of berries.  

Linda

the filling- I just happened to take a picture because someone texed and asked me what I was doing at this point lol

Fresh Fruit/ Strawberry FillingFresh Fruit/ Strawberry FillingFinal cake

11 replies
TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 12

It's lovely!!! And thanks for sharing your experience to help others along the way. (((Hugs)))

johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 12

relaxed

johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 12

I actually made the cake and froze it a few days before, I thawed, filled, and iced it the evening before the event.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 12

i have a comment and some thoughts to add to your thoughts --

if you encased your fruit in icing which is what i do also with whipped cream -- it could not weep into the cake -- especially since you kept it all cold --

yes absolutely there's a back to every cake ha! and that reminds me that that's a question i often ask the bride -- will your cake be in a 360 degree setting or up against a wall? some venues put the cake in front of a mirror-- aghhh! but good thing to know in advance for sure :)

i use a super sharp knife to cut my strawberries because it reduces weeping and i cut them in smaller bits so when it's sliced it slices cleanly and every slice gets a nice amount -- i lay them in thick and tight like a mosaic -- yours has different holes --  so that would mean there's a hole in that person's serving kwim --

but i love fresh strawberries in cake -- it never gets old 

-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 12

and your cake is deliciously gorgeous -- very pretty -- well done

johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you.

I thought that about the encasing the fruit... but I know sugar draws out the juice, so I was afraid/thought that  would likely happen.. good to know it doesn't I suppose. I probably just had a gap in the dam where it leaked out the edge of the cake. 

Thanks for the tip on cutting the strawberries! 

-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 12

and one more thing -- i love that you egg white washed the fruit and sugared it -- just takes me back --

and another stray thought -- this is great to do with possibly yellowed plates and pillars -- or if you just want a great sparkly effect -- say if someone kept all that stuff and for their 25th or 50th anniversary wanted to use them -- egg white wash & sugar them -- it's very pretty --

johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 12

Oh.. yes!  I didn't even think of that. There is a plate and pillars under there.. all hidden because of that reason. I served the cake, so I quickly took the fruit off and stuck the separator plate and pillars under the table! stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

The event was at my church.

I was totally fearless with those egg whites! Warrior Style! lol... I know there is a lot of controversy over egg whites. 

johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 12

I really wanted to do naked cake... but I was afraid my 'crowd' wouldn't 'get' it. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

johnbailey64 Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 12

Not so fearless with that. lol

-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2017 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 12

seriously fearless you were/are -- my compliments :)

hey i am part of that "crowd" -- but it is finally maybe becoming more 'right' looking to me -- the ones where the icing is smeared/scraped all off-ish --

i wished for a long time that it's a fad but i think it's here to stay (i'm a genius right? ha!) because it's lasted a loong time so far... unbelievably -- i have seen some cute ones but it has to decorated -- has. to. be. decorated appropriately --

anyhow -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%